Sarah ~Slow reader, or slowly reading? ;)'s Reviews > Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

May 09, 11

Read from April 10 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy

Okay, I think it's time to review this... finally. I've been so busy with school that I haven't had much time to do anything! Be warned: I'm not very good at reviews. But anyways, back to the book. I LOVED this book. A lot more than I thought I would, actually. When I won it on Goodreads "firstreads," I had a complete fan-girl moment, because I absolutely love Libba Bray.

Even though the title says it's like Lost, it doesn't have many other similarities besides the plane crash/forgotten island thing (I would know, I'm a huge Lostie). Regardless, this book was HILARIOUS. Books usually don't make me laugh out loud a lot, but if you're cynical like me (and, apparently like Ms. Bray), then you will most likely find this book pretty amusing. And weird. Very, very weird. But in a good way!

All in all, I loved the book. It was very well written, as with all of Ms. Bray's previous works and it was funny, witty, and very unique. I recommended reading it if you want something light-ish and fun to read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Queens.

04/11/2011 page 100
25.0% "Liking it so far! Very entertaining :)"
04/14/2011 page 290
73.0% "Holy macaroni. Why am I reading so slow lately? *sigh*" 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zuleika (new)

Zuleika so jealous right now! Book sounds hilarious

Sarah ~Slow reader, or slowly reading? ;) LOL I know. I almost died when I saw I won. *happydance*

message 3: by Lyndsey (last edited May 08, 2011 11:03PM) (new) - added it

Lyndsey I love "weird in a good way" stuff! This sounds like my kind of thing. Are there any Lost references? Like "We have to go BACK!"

You know what? I would really love to read either a parody or a satire based on Lost. As much as I love the show, it is completely weird and ridiculous enough to joke about constantly.

Sarah ~Slow reader, or slowly reading? ;) Lyndsey wrote: "I love "weird in a good way" stuff! This sounds like my kind of thing. Are there any Lost references? Like "We have to go BACK!"

You know what? I would really love to read either a parody or a sat..."

Actually, I didn't catch any Lost references. If there are any, they went right over my head lol But! I'm pretty sure there aren't.

oliviasbooks Hmmm. Going Bovine was said to be hilarious, too. But it was absolutely not my thing. Maybe this will be a similar experience?

Sarah ~Slow reader, or slowly reading? ;) oliviasbooks wrote: "Hmmm. Going Bovine was said to be hilarious, too. But it was absolutely not my thing. Maybe this will be a similar experience?"

I didn't read Going Bovine, it didn't seem to be my thing either. I did really enjoy Beauty Queens though, it was a really fun read ^_^