readinghearts (Lyn M)'s Reviews > Juliet

Mar 25, 11

bookshelves: 2011, borrowed, ccclib
Recommended to readinghearts (Lyn M) by: Novel Ladies Group Read
Read from March 15 to 21, 2011, read count: once

One of my book groups voted to read this book for a group read. I have to admit, the synopsis of the book intrigued me. A modern day re-telling of Romeo and Juliet, which is one of my favorite stories of all time. Couple that with a Dan Brown Da Vinci Code type mystery (I have read everything Dan Brown has written and loved them all) and I was sure it would be a good book. In fact, the book was different than I expected. Yes, there was a mystery, but not on the level of a Dan Brown book. What there was instead was a double re-telling of the story of Romeo and Juliet, one in modern day Siena, and one in 14th century Sienna. I found both stories fascinating, and actually had a hard time deciding which story line I liked the most. I might have liked the ancient story line a little better, but mostly only because I am a historical fiction buff and love reading about medieval times.

The Characters that Anne Fortier included in her book were interesting. I felt that the medieval characters were a bit more intriguing, but again, that could be my love of history and medieval times talking. The current story was enjoyable, too, but a little more predictable. At one time, I felt that the modern story line lagged, but it was not for long.

All in all a great read that I would highly recommend. I hope that Ms. Fortier continues to write stories of this ilk.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet.

03/15/2011 page 50
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate. (new) - added it

Kate. BR this year ? I really want to read it

readinghearts (Lyn M) Unfortunately, this is a library book so I have to read it in the next 14 days. Do you have it already? If so, do you want to try to squeeze it in after TLQ?

Sorry for the timing :(

message 3: by Kate. (new) - added it

Kate. I do have it. I can squeeze it in after TLQ if you can ?? (of course you can lol) .. lets add to the calendar and start a thread. March is going to be busy.

readinghearts (Lyn M) I know. I have heard such good things about this one, though.

Misfit I'll be looking for your thoughts on this one. Opinions are all over the place.

Jennifer I'm in on this BR :)

readinghearts (Lyn M) A great story so far. Glad you are joining us, Jen.

Jennifer Me too, Lyn! I'm really enjoying it so far.

readinghearts (Lyn M) We should get your mom to read this one. I think I'll recommend it to her if you haven't already.

Jennifer She just started it :)

readinghearts (Lyn M) Cool. I hope she likes it. I will be anxious to hear what she thinks of it.