Courtney's Reviews > Possum Living: How to Live Well Without a Job and with (Almost) No Money

Possum Living by Dolly Freed

May 30, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction, 2010
Read in May, 2010

Pretty solid read. I like Dolly's ultimate conclusion--that Possum Living has given her the freedom to make different and riskier choices in her life, in pursuit of her own happiness because she knows, if she has to, she can survive on relatively little (that is definitely relative). This was a very good, solid read. Fascinating, really--a How-To, a snapshot at 1970s America (a lot of her advice is timeless though, I think) and somewhat of a young girl's diary all in one. America's version of Susanna Moodie's Roughing it in the Bush? Vaaaaguely. Possum Living is definitely not for me, though. And I'm okay with that. The afterword was my favourite. I love seeing how far Dolly came as a result of how far ahead she was.

---

Discovered on Etsy! After watching the awesome documentary from the 70's on Youtube (3 parts, like 30 minutes - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) I knew I had to read this. Can't wait. My favorite snippets in the documentary are how Dolly thrived and became passionate about learning after dropping out of school in the 7th grade.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Possum Living.

05/28/2010 page 114
50.89% "Dolly's a card. This is like an autobiography disguised as a How-To + a snapshot of 1970s America. A lot of Dolly's ideas though and philosophy are still pretty applicable for today. Related: I like things too much to ever adopt them."
05/30/2010 page 140
62.5% "This chapter on making moonshine is taking foreevveerrr."