Books and Literature for Teens's Reviews > Black Angels

Black Angels by Linda Beatrice Brown

May 01, 2010

bookshelves: 1800s, books-i-ve-read-in-2009, civil-war, coming-of-age, published-2009, young-adult, to-trade-swap
Read in November, 2009 — I own a copy

I have read quite a few books about the Civil War and its stories still continue to amaze me. Black Angels is one of the more "hard-core", if you will, books I've read about this subject because it carries the weight of young perspectives and a whole lot of gritty truth. Not only were Will, Daylily, and Caswell lost and alone, they faced things that many adults may not have ever had to go through. I think I liked this book because of it's vividness and honesty. If you don't have those things, you don't have a truthful story. Life was harsh back then and Brown did a fascinating job on capturing not only with the terrible battle scenes and struggles, but the language of the characters as well. I felt, even though Will (the oldest character in the book) is only eleven, his voice will hold an older reader's attention as well as someone as young as himself; and although the old timey language may put some off, I still think it's a great addition to the story and the character's personalities.
The only thing that I happen to dislike about Civil War era books is that they describe the Civil War as being about acceptance and freeing slaves. The Civil War was not about the slaves, it was about power and money--black slaves were just part of the bargain. I didn't much care for the ending either because it just stopped with Will, Daylily, and Caswell seeing each other again for the first time in ten years. I would have liked to find out what happened to them, but I guess Brown left that up to your imagination.
With that said, Black Angels is still a honest and breath taking story about the Civil War. I would recommend to tweens and young adults who like history or just a good timeless tale of courage and hope.

|Age Group: Ages 11+|
|Content: Some sensuality and some graphic details of gore|
|Recommend?| Yes

Courtesy of booksandliteratureforteens.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Angels.