Rosa's Reviews > Bright Young Things

1913711
Oct 24, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction, young-adult, 2010
Read from October 21 to 25, 2010

Anna Godberson's newest series takes place in the roaring twenties. Letty and Cordelia live in a small town in Ohio. They have both spent their lives dreaming of something bigger. The night of Cordelia's wedding, the two girls run off to New York City. Almost immediately upon arrival the two girls split up because of a fight.

Letty ends up working as a cigarette girl, dreaming of working on Broadway. Cordelia finds her father, the famous bootlegger Darius Grey. Both girls get drawn in by the glitz and glamor of New York City and Long Island in the 1920's. Cordelia makes friends with Astrid, her half brother Charlie's girlfriend, also living on Long Island who's life is not as glorious at it seems.

Unfortunately I wasn't quite in the mood to read this book right now, which dampened my enjoyment a little bit. While there was a lot of historical detail in the book, it felt as though it wasn't as specific as some of the details given in Godberson's previous series. Another difference that I didn't really like was that in the previous work, we got not only the girls thought's and feelings we also got the men's. In this work we never got their feelings so it's harder to tell where the story is really going. You know what's happened but you aren't sure of people's motives so I don't feel as attached the male characters as the I do to the girls.

While I liked Letty, Astrid and Cordelia I did wonder a little bit at Letty and Cordelia. Both girls have had difficult lives before coming to New York. It made me wonder that they weren't more cautious in their situations. I understand that the work takes place in the 1920's which was a very carefree era, and that the wealthy in particular tended to throw away opportunities and money, but these two girls never really had anything, so they should have known better. Then one of them would be flakey like that is believable. That both of them would completely let the entire experience go to their heads was rediculous to me. I do want to read the next one and find out what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Young Things.