Kathleen Hagen's Reviews > This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection

F 50x66
May 01, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-audio-books, 2010-nonfiction
Read in April, 2010

This Time Together, Laughter and Reflections, by Carol Burnett, narrated by Carol Burnett, produced by Random House Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

This book got me through a harrowing weekend laughing throughout. Here we have remembrances of people and events, and the back story to scenes for the Carol Burnett show which lasted eleven years and got 25 Emmys. We hear reminiscences of her friendships with Lucille Ball, Jimmy Stewart, Beverely Sills, Julie Andrews, (including a prank that she and Julie Andrews were planning which went wrong because the person who ended up seeing it was Lady Bird Johnson. We hear about the time Marlin Brando called her. She had never talked to him before, and she ended up on the phone with him for an hour, all the time having to go to the bathroom. Since Carol reads the book herself, it is really like listening to her talk to you in the living room. She laughs herself at the funny anecdotes. She was saved from a mugging when she issued her Tarzan yell, which she did for us again in the audio book. We heard about the sadness surrounding her daughter Carrie’s death, and we want to see all those shows again. A book to be savored more than once-especially as an audio book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Time Together.

11/02/2016 marked as: read