Ren's Reviews > The Darkest Surrender

The Darkest Surrender by Gena Showalter

Don't bother to ask me why I give such a low rating for this. Because I'm still mourning.

Yeah, you hear me right, I never hate LOTU. I love LOTU with all my heart. Even I translated one of the book of this series, The Darkest Pleasure. And that's like a gift for me. But this book make me cry, in a bad way.

I despise Strider. I hate that his personality change so much. He seems funny and entertaining in the beginning. I love the scene at The Darkest Kiss, when he shoot Lucien at bed, after Lucien bondaged by Anya. He seems so kind to Gwen at The Darkest Whisper. But, after Amun's book at The Darkest Secret, he make me pissed of! His attitude toward Amun and, especially Haidee, his arrogancy, his... everything, make me want to throw something hard and heavy to him (not me of course). I have a bad feeling when I start reading this. Hope I will like it, or love it. Even I hate what Strider become to.

My hope is crushed down.

Not just I don't like Strider, I hate Kaia even more! I don't like harpies, except Gwen. Ever! I think Gena want make harpies like what Kresley Cole do to Valkyries at IAD series. But I'm sad to said this, she failed. The harpies just annoying and bothersome creatures that make me want to bitch-slap them. And don't get me started with Kaia's "I'm not worthy for Strider" attitude. Make me want to scream and pulled my hair.

I don't like what Gena do to Strider at here. He just become Kaia's sidekick. I don't find their bantering scene sexy. Both seems childish, and again their conversation annoyed me, a lot. I don't care Kaia had slept with Paris, cause I know its just friend to friend. But I found myself skipping Kaia and Strider's sex scenes. Just because, both are annoying as hell.

I think when Gena successfully make Haidee as Amun's mate and make me enjoy their story, she failed with Strider and Kaia. Heck, I don't want Kaia have her own story. Why she just can be forever a secondary character? I'll be happy then. Maybe if Strider's heroine is someone else, with better personalities, maybe I will love this one.

So many maybe *sigh*

I give this 2 stars, because I like the story. I like William's revenge part. I like the idea of Harpy Games, but then I dislike the harpies (still). I'm intrigued with what Gena have for Kane. I can't wait to know more about Paris, and lucky his book is the next.

I think I'm sound harsh, but The Darkest Surrender is the baddest book in LOTU series. Not the best, never for me. I know I'm such a minority here, because seems like almost all my GR friends give it high rating. Make me sad because I can't enjoy this book like others do.

I hope I will love Paris's story at The Darkest Seduction. Since I have waiting his story for eternity.

=====================================================================
Strider's story... with Kaia. What? O__O!!
I know its old news, but I'm still shocked about this. The cover is the hottest, surpassed Reyes's and Lucien's which are my favorite.

Just hope, when Paul Marron will featured at LOTU cover. I really hope someday he does.. *g*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Surrender.

10/26/2011 page 9
2.0% "Kaia, Strider, Kaia, Strider. Not sure with this pairing [image error]" 4 comments
10/26/2011 page 40
9.0% "The best way to spell victory? K-I-L-L"
10/27/2011 page 169
40.0% "Still just so-so story. So hard to connect with Kaia and Strider! What's wrong with me? =("
10/27/2011 page 267
63.0% "The problem with Kaia and Strider? Both are childish and I find their bantering not sexy =("

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kat (idangerous) *drools*
I agree Ren, I think he would make a great book cover model for LOTU!!

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) Ren, It was soooo good!!! can't wait til you get to it!

message 3: by Ren (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ren gr❤ΑηGELα❤ ~Lustful Lace~ wrote: "Ren, It was soooo good!!! can't wait til you get to it!"

I'm not read Amun's yet *blush* and my copy of this book still in my friend *sobs*

Kat wrote: "*drools*
I agree Ren, I think he would make a great book cover model for LOTU!!"

Alas he never done LOTU cover =(.. But at last Paris's cover still hot! =)

Kat (idangerous) but why o.O he is sooo smexy!! Yes I agree Paris's cover really hot!!

P e t t y I totally agree with your review,Ren... You summarized all my feeling toward this book. Ya, olloohhh..awalnya aku suka banget sama Strider, I bet his story will the awesome one.. tapi ternyata... Strider seperti mengalami perubahan kepribadian gitu..ckckck..

message 6: by Ren (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ren P e t t y wrote: "I totally agree with your review,Ren... You summarized all my feeling toward this book. Ya, olloohhh..awalnya aku suka banget sama Strider, I bet his story will the awesome one.. tapi ternyata... S..."

Perasaan gw emang udah ga enak sejak baca bukunya Amun. Tapi menurutku masalah terbesarnya ada di Kaia. Adegan MLnya Kaia ma Strider aja gw skip, saking betenya =))

P e t t y Ren wrote: "P e t t y wrote: "I totally agree with your review,Ren... You summarized all my feeling toward this book. Ya, olloohhh..awalnya aku suka banget sama Strider, I bet his story will the awesome one.. ..."

Iye, yaaaa...adengannya kagak asik banget... You don't miss anything at all..haha..Kita liat aja si Paris gimana nih ceritanya. Kayaknya Gena menurun nih akhir2 ini, terakhir aku baca serial Alien Huntress yang paling baru (si Hector sapa lah itu namanya) itu juga kurang yahud..hihi... Apa karena udh keseringan baca Kresley sama Nalini jadinya brasa krg oke lagi si Gena...

message 8: by Ren (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ren Menurutku lebih karena Gena kebanyakan proyek, jadinya tanpa dia sadari kemampuan nulisnya nurun, IMO yah.
Kalau Alien Huntress emang ga bagus2 amat serinya, beberapa cuma oke aja.

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ I love your review! I mean I love Strider, he's my fave Lord but he hasn't been himself. Where was the sexy, funny, naughty, awesome Strider I love?!?! Don't get me started on Kaia the Annoying!!! One of the worst characters ever! I can't stand her. All harpies (except Gwen) go on my nerves. They are not funny and badass, they are primitive and annoying! Urgh! I'm so mad because my Strider deserved so much better!

message 10: by Ren (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ren Sarah wrote: "I love your review! I mean I love Strider, he's my fave Lord but he hasn't been himself. Where was the sexy, funny, naughty, awesome Strider I love?!?! Don't get me started on Kaia the Annoying!!! ..."

Kaia must be called "She's Who Not Be Named". Heck, hearing her name make me want to scream, LOL! Agree Strider deserved a better woman.

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ In my LOTU world Strider's book never has happened and he is still his awesome self!

message 12: by Adis (new) - rated it 3 stars

Adis I fall in love with the lords... thx to you sista! Spent this week read the series. Just finish Amun story and heck, I hate strider in those book. Your review made me more hesitated to pick his story,,,aarrggghhh gosh but it felt like I will cheating on the lords if I didn't read this one.

message 13: by Ren (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ren Adisty wrote: "I fall in love with the lords... thx to you sista! Spent this week read the series. Just finish Amun story and heck, I hate strider in those book. Your review made me more hesitated to pick his sto..."

Your welcome =)
Well, at last Paris's book is way, way better, IMO.

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ It's not difficult to be better than Strider's book. LOL

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

"I don't like harpies, except Gwen." I'm not the only one, thank God!

message 16: by Ren (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ren Sabrina wrote: ""I don't like harpies, except Gwen." I'm not the only one, thank God!"

I'll pretend the harpies (except Gwen) never exist ;)

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ Hahaha! Same here!