Kathleen Hagen's Reviews > A Grave in Gaza

F_50x66
May 01, 10

bookshelves: 2010-audio-books, 2010-mysteries
Read in April, 2010

A Grave in Gaza, by Matt Deymon Rees, A-minus, narrated by Peter Gamin, produced by Audible inc. and downloaded from audible.com.

This is a book which I would characterize as demonstrating all the problems in the Gaza strip. This is the second in the Omar Yussif series. Here, he has been asked to leave Bethlehem where he lives and come to the Gaza strip to participate with Magnus Wallender, from Sweden, in a U.N. sponsored investigation. They meet James Cree, an Irishman and the security officer. Cree and Yussef clash because Cree is brash and while he thinks he needs no one’s help in dealing with the gangs, the politics, the terrorists of Gaza, he doesn’t know the first thing about the customs of the area, or, as Yussif points out to him, even how to conform with etiquette when addressing someone like Yussif. They learn that a teacher has been imprisoned and is being accused of a murder. It soon becomes apparent that there are other men at work, each with their own agenda. This is a bleak book, showing us mainly pictures of the confusion and nightmare quality that is the daily life of those in Gaza. An interesting book but with no satisfactory conclusion. We wouldn’t even know, except that there are more books in the series, that Omar Yussef got out of Gaza. I liked the first book better, but this one definitely made its point of the sorry situation in the Gaza strip.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Grave in Gaza.