Melinda's Reviews > Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road

Ghost Rider by Neil Peart

Jun 01, 10

Recommended for: bike enthusiasts, Rush fans, people in mourning
Read from May 08 to 31, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This is the memoir that Neil Peart, best known as the drummer and lyricist for the rock band Rush, wrote in the aftermath of two horrible family tragedies. He dropped out of his life and went on an epic motorcycle trip from Quebec to Vancouver and finally to Belize.

Mr Peart is a really amazing writer and I enjoyed this book a lot...my only quibble with it was maybe a few too many descriptions of deserted desert roads. I really don't know (or really care) anything about motorcycles, but I was able to feel the wind coming at me at speeds of up to 180 mph through the rich and sometimes heartbreaking prose.

This book has been on my "to-read" list for many years and with Rush touring this summer I decided to finally read it and I am very glad I did. If you are a Rush ran and are expecting insight into the band you won't find it here. But I did enjoy the few tiny snippets there were...especially when he reminisces about a concert that I was at in Washington State (!) as being one of his all-time favorites.

I did find it quite funny at times and also very sad, to the point where I was shedding tears right along with him. If I could meet him, I would thank him for writing this book because I think it is a bit of a cross of The Motorcycle Diaries and The Year of Magical Thinking. Except that if I ever did recognize him, I would immediately turn away because he hates being recognized by his fans. From "Limelight" "...I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend.." So I would honor that and leave him alone. He isn't comfortable being famous.

4.5 of 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Rider.

05/15/2010 page 191
41.52% "Now I know what it feels like to ride on a motorcycle."
05/21/2010 page 317
68.91% "wow....what a man......... I'm in love."