Melinda's Reviews > Rabbit Angstrom: The Four Novels

Rabbit Angstrom by John Updike

May 01, 10

Recommended to Melinda by: New York Times Book Magazine
Recommended for: people who like long books
Read in January, 2008, read count: 1

I read these 4 novels one right after the other last year. It's challenging getting through all of them at once, but I did it. Since I did read all 4 books without stopping, I can't really choose which is my favorite or really even distinguish between them...to me it's all one big book. Rabbit is not that likable of a character, but what roped me in was the broad scope of American history lived by this one man over his life starting in the late 50's. It's not Forest Gump, but it is a way to understand what was going on at the time that each individual book was written. Two of them won the Pulitzer and I don't remember thinking that those two were any better or stood out in any way differently than the other two.

I would say this... if you have read on Rabbit novel and didn't like it you probably won't like the other ones. But if you have read one or two and have been meaning to get around to the other ones, then I say do it! I quite enjoyed them in spite of not loving the main character.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rabbit Angstrom.