Tatiana's Reviews > The Unwritten Rule

The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

May 18, 10

bookshelves: ya, 2010, chick-lit
Read from May 16 to 17, 2010

The Unwritten Rule is my third Elizabeth Scott book and my least favorite out of the three (the other two are Living Dead Girl and Love You Hate You Miss You which deal with sexual abuse and death respectively).

The book can be summarized very briefly: Sarah and Brianna are best friends, Brianna is dating Ryan, Sarah likes Ryan, and Ryan wants to be with Sarah too. Will the girls' friendship survive the squabble over the guy?

The main problem with this book is that it is very simplistic, there are no layers to the story, basically nothing much happens in it. 95% of the book are Sarah's thoughts on the matter that go like this: "I like Ryan so much. I've liked him since 8th grade. But he is dating my best friend Brianna. She's been my best friend since the kindergarten. But Ryan likes me more than Brianna. But Brianna loves Ryan too. But their relationship isn't working. But Brianna's parents are so horrible, I can's take Ryan from her too. But I like Ryan so much..." (not a direct quote) And it goes on and on like this in circles forever, making this short 200 page long book very boring and repetitive.

Main characters are also very hard to get attached to. They are not interesting or compelling, they lack complexity - Sarah is a goody motherly type of girl, Brianna is an outright mean girl, and Ryan is a doormat-ish stud. This assortment of cliche characters doesn't leave much room for moral dilemma, it is very easy to discount bad girl Brianna's feelings and forgive good girl Sarah's deceit.

IMO this subject has been portrayed infinitely better in E. Lockhart's Ruby Oliver books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unwritten Rule.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne Scott is very hit or miss, isn't she? Thanks for the review!

Tatiana Yeah, this one was a miss for me. I wanted some more "meat" to the story

message 3: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa If that is a direct quote for the book, it sounds painful :).

Tatiana No. But you got the drift, right? :o)

message 5: by Annalisa (last edited May 18, 2010 02:41PM) (new)

Annalisa Yeah :). From what I can tell, it seems like a lot of her voices are whiny with lots of internal dialogue. I don't know that I want to check out any of her books.

Tatiana I think her strongest is Living Dead Girl, but it's a depressing read.

message 7: by Elisa (new)

Elisa So would you recommend knocking this off the "to-read" list?

Tatiana Elisa, IDK your reading tastes yet, so it's hard for me say. My friend really liked it and it was just OK for me. In any case, I don't think this book is worth a hardback price. Borrow it from the library if you are really interested.

Was it helpful?:o)

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily Oh yes, thanks. I think I will remove it- unless I hear someone else really raving on it.

message 10: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Haha sorry I was logged into my friends (Emily) account when I wrote that...it was me though.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily at least i know now not to read the book as well.