Jess's Reviews > The Kind Diet: A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet

The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone

May 04, 10

bookshelves: 2010, non-fiction
Read from April 30 to May 04, 2010

I LOVE this book!!! I got this copy from the library, but as soon as I have extra money I'm going to go buy it. I really enjoyed reading the beginning about the bad foods and what they do not only to your body but to the environment. I'm already a vegetarian, so reading some of these facts just reinforced that I know I'm doing the right thing by abstaining from meat.

I liked the way that everything was connected. From eating great food, to saving the environment at the same time, and because of all of this having a great feeling about yourself and your mental wellness. I really enjoyed her philosophy of eating well, and treating your body well. There were also some interesting tidbits scattered throughout the book on various topics from athletes who are vegans or vegetarians to the effects of eating white sugar.

So basically, the book is broken up into mini books. The first part is called Kind Vs. Nasty and reviews the bad foods and the great foods, the effects each has the environment and on your body. Part 2 is called living the kind life and this goes over the different steps that this "diet" has. There's flirting which is sort of picking and choosing things about the veggie and vegan lifestyle. There's Vegan, which is eliminating all meats and dairy from a diet. The last one is called Superhero which is a diet that primarily consists of wheat, veggies, and protein. Part 3 is the recipe section.

I found some great recipes I want to try, and it actually has me thinking about flirting with being a vegan.

I think that if you are a veggie, vegan, thinking about becoming either of them or are just looking for a way to feel healthier, you should read this book.

I can't wait to buy it so I can refer back to it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kind Diet.

04/30/2010 page 25
8.12% "interesting..."

message 1: by Christie (new)

Christie I’m glad you loved it! Definitely going to check this one out.

Jess Totally loved it!! I thought it was going to be another one of those diet books, but it really wasn't. It went into detail about the effects of meat and other bad foods on your system. And I never really understood what people ate when they were a vegan. But now I get it. I understand the basic building blocks of a vegan meal. I'm definitely interested in giving it a little try, and flirting with it. I think superhero is beyond what I'm able to do, but I liked reading over the philosophy of it.

message 3: by Christie (new)

Christie I’ll have to pick up a copy. I used to be a vegetarian. I still try to make meat free meals as much as possible because I just don’t care for the taste/texture of meat. Of course I’m married to a serious carnivore so it’s hard to make everyone happy. I’ve found as long as I sub some sort of bean for the meat he usually keeps the bitching to a minimum ;) Recipe ideas are always good. This is going on my must buy list.

Jess Yeah I just adapted a recipe in the book for bean burritos, and my bf actually ate it without complaining about the lack of meat! I then informed him it wasn't just vegetarian, it was actually a vegan meal!