Jamie Collins's Reviews > Stardoc

Apr 30, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: science-fiction, scifi-aliens
Read in May, 2010

This is shallow, hokey space opera, featuring enough alien species to populate several Mos Eisley Cantinas. The medical stuff is not badly done, once you shrug and accept that the doctor from earth can so easily handle alien physiology. This book contains possibly the weakest (although mercifully brief) attempt to explain faster-than-light travel that I've ever seen.

But the writing is not bad and I was rather enjoying the book until about halfway through, when it began to go rapidly downhill. There was a setup for a love triangle, but the romances were very poorly realized. Then I was annoyed by the rape scene that the heroine seemed to enjoy: "I'd never been more disgusted with myself, but there was nothing I could do. We were both young, healthy specimens. I had to try something else, quickly, before he used my physical response against me." Ick. Other than that scene, which is disturbing for the attitude rather than for explicit violence, the book is mild enough for older kids.

The ending is lackluster, and it segues into the opening scenes of the next book, a device I find almost as irritating as a cliffhanger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stardoc.

01/30/2016 marked as: read

Bluegravity Too bad you feel that way, emotionally, rather than objectively in consideration to, you know, the book. Try grimspace, which is more action, less romance, more travel explanation, less medical, more institutional (read as crazy haha). She's a doctor not a space traveler in Stardoc, which is why there isn't as much explanation- doesn't know, doesn't care, doesn't understand, and hey, she's actually more worried about something else, like, I don't know, running away? In grimspace, they give more explanation to the space travel. Okay, any probs, feel free to message me and check my synopsis, if you really have anything to say, first.