Timothy Allen's Reviews > The Calligrapher's Daughter

Jul 31, 2010

Recommended to Timothy by: Eugenia Kim
Recommended for: Anyone
Read from June 10 to July 31, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I was so emotionally invested in Han Nanjin by the end of this book that I was yelling at what was happening to her. Be prepared for an emotional beating in this book; the story of the Japanese occupation of Korea is not pretty, the story of the people of this book reflects that.

The book starts off with historical background, also establishing the relationships between the characters. Quickly the extreme events of the book start to put the characters under stress, and their reactions are not always what you would predict. Najin especially is put through so many trials that I found myself saying, "Oh, come on! Let the poor thing off the hook for a little!" I found myself wondering if the book was going to have a happy ending or not-- I won't spoil it by saying.

I'd love to see this book on the big screen! Also, I got the feeling at the ending that there was a lot of room for a sequel. Here's keeping my fingers crossed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Calligrapher's Daughter.

06/24/2010
06/26/2010
20.0% "Ooh this is getting good."
07/20/2010
69.0% "Now I'm angry. I love Nanjin and things just went Very Wrong. Only really good books do this to me."
07/28/2010
77.0% "I ask myself: is Nanjin Korea itself?"
show 1 hidden update…