Vincent's Reviews > Pop Gun War Volume 1

Pop Gun War Volume 1 by Farel Dalrymple

Dec 15, 2007

bookshelves: graphic-novel
Read in December, 2007

This is the last of the three “graphic novels” I picked up when I picked up Blankets. I bought Blankets, American Born Chinese, and The Pop Gun War in the same order and read them back to back, so I’ve connected them as a trilogy in my head. The latter is the most interesting of the three. I was sold on the cover and a critic’s comment that compared it to a David Lynch movie. It definitely is a surreal journey through Manhattan and the life of one little boy who “finds” wings.

The Pop Gun War is the thinner of the three books but all three address the seeming helplessness of their main characters in their situations. All three end with the main characters realizing that they are not helpless and have more control than they believed.

Of the three, the latter is the most engaging and not just because of the nature of the book. Surreal is more than placing a fish in an unreal situation. Surreal is being able to first build the fantasy world, get readers to buy in to its “realness,” and then engage them emotionally In the story you are telling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pop Gun War Volume 1.

06/12/2016 marked as: read