Karen's Reviews > Lover Mine

Lover Mine by J.R. Ward

May 06, 10

Read on April 30, 2010

** spoiler alert ** John Matthew’s story has been a long time coming. In fact his story really begins in the first book of the series “Dark Lover”. His character has such a rich history to draw from and I was really looking forward to Lover Mine thinking it would be the best book of the series.
This story had so much potential that I was kind of shocked to see it turned into a generic love story. All that past history was set aside for a different back story that was supposed to show how John and Xhex were fated to be together, but all it did was keep taking me out of the present.
I think Xhex and John make a great couple and there were some very touching scenes between them, particularly during one of Xhex’s panic attacks and my favorite scene concerning their shared desire for revenge on Lash. I even found myself crying a few times. Qhuinn and Blay also had a very powerful storyline that had me crying. But both felt like a retread of the other (and better written IMO) brother’s stories, which leads me to my main complaints with this book.

The slang – I know this is her style and I mainly ignore it, but it was so over the top in the first third of this book I found myself laughing…
Next is the sex. Now I’m all for a good sex scene and there were some steamy ones in Lover Mine, but I feel that Ward is relying on them too often as proof of love. I remember the good old days when there were long discussions to go with the sex. Someone is either having sex to overcome their horrible past, having sex with someone else because they can’t have sex with who they want, or taking lots of showers…but not cold if you get my drift…those brothers spend a lot of time in the shower!
Depravity – it seems that at least half of the Brotherhood has either been raped, seen someone raped or their mate has been raped. Every Lesser relies on the act of rape. Now I’m not saying I want all sunshine and happiness ( I happen to love a good dark storyline) and there is a way to write this well (Zsadist’s story for example or John’s early experience in the stairwell) and no doubt it’s an evil act but it feels like it’s the go to behavior to prove someone’s depravity.
Evil bad guys – I do not even once - ever - think the Lesser’s will win. The Omega seems like an idiot who keeps getting bigger idiots to do his dirty work. They are interchangeable. Mr. D, Mr. P,Q,R?? Does it matter anymore?? Lash? Could have been a nice twist there but surprise…sadistic moron. So there is never any tension for me on that front. They are only there to propel the love story, nothing is really at stake. The brothers go out, they fight...they come home.
Too many plots – I can count at least five different stories going on in this book. There are only so many brothers so I understand that she has to write new characters in to continue this series but it’s spreading the plot too thin for me.
That paranormal reality show?? WTF!!??

Maybe my expectations were too high for Lover Mine and that was my problem. I know everyone else really loved this book so once again ….maybe it’s just me. J.R. Ward has written some of my favorite books that I read over & over again – I think she’s the master of this genre but the series does seem to be stretching a little thin with this book.
I have a few more things to say about Lover Mine but they’re spoilery - so I put it after this with a warning.

There were some well written emotionally brutal scenes – and I like John & Xhex – Tohr made a nice comeback here & I was happy to see a few appearances from Z, but the stories are getting a little to overstretched and repetitive for my taste.

WARNING: SPOLIERS!

SPOILER!! Qhuinn and Blay. Now I admit I really wanted them to get together, didn’t happen (yet) - I can live with that. BUT. I can see how Blay would move on after Qhuinn’s rejections but I can’t believe that he would go for Saxton. He came off as a pretentious ass to me.
Layla – Another virginal Chosen…..been there – done that. They bore me.
The whole thing seems like a new twist on the old Wrath/Marissa, V/Butch storyline and Layla is too much like Cormia and Marrisa to be original for me.

Where was Beth? I thought this would be a great book to draw the brotherhood back together again. Missed opportunity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Mine.

04/30/2010 page 44
show 2 hidden updates…

Karen IMO - it was B.O.R.I.N.G Lots of stuff going on...not at all connected. There was a lot of history there to work from so I was really dissapointed. I let a lot of stuff slide because the books are like a guilty pleasure sort of thing but now it was repetitive and disjointed. Put me in a bad mood :-((
Of course I've been feeling this way about a lot of series lately and I'm usually the only one who feels that way so you may like it!