Jay's Reviews > Devil of the Highlands

Devil of the Highlands by Lynsay Sands

Apr 30, 10

Read in February, 2009

Originally posted at RomanceReaderAtHeart.com

Evelinde is an innocent girl who’s been betrothed to someone she’s never met and has heard horrible things about. She doesn’t know how to reconcile the ‘Devil of the Highlands’ with the passionate man her husband is turning out to be.

Cullen isn’t any of the things that are whispered about him, but he doesn’t care enough to try and change anyone’s mind. In fact, the rumors about him work out well for him because whenever he goes out to fight, people just run away. Luckily for him, however, Evelinde is learning not to believe he’s the Devil—it wouldn’t do to have her running away from him, when he just wants to hold her close…

I had difficulty with DEVIL IN THE HIGHLANDS. On paper, there’s nothing wrong with this story. It has the humor I’ve come to expect from Lynsay Sands and a cute love story. But I think the problem I had with DEVIL IN THE HIGHLANDS is that I can’t see how it’s different from any of Sands’ previous medieval-set books. I feel like Evelinde and Cullen are no different from many of the other heroes and heroines that have populated Sands’ historicals. I also saw a lot of the same scenes in DEVIL IN THE HIGHLANDS that I know I’ve read before. While I still enjoy Sands’ historicals more than I like her vampire series, my concern is that she’s just starting to write the same book over and over again. I’m willing to continue on with Sands to see where she goes next, but now that I’ve noticed how similar her books appear to be, I don’t know if I’ll continue to rush to read her newest release.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil of the Highlands.