Werner's Reviews > People of the Fire

People of the Fire by W. Michael Gear
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read People of the Fire.

12/27/2014 marked as: to-read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Victor and I read a series similar to this about 15 years ago. The Indian in it who crossed the Bering Strait was Torka if I remember right. It was very good and we read them all. I am wondering if this is the series. I owuld like to read them again.

message 2: by Werner (new) - added it

Werner Alice, I'd guess this is a different series, since the first book, People of the Wolf, which deals with the crossing of what is today the Bering Strait, doesn't have any character called Torka, and all the Indian names are given in their English equivalents --such as Wolf Dreamer, Dancing Fox, Ice Fire, etc. Barb and I both liked that book pretty well; I should review it here sometime!

When we started this second installment, we found (to our disappointment), that it does NOT continue the story of the characters from the first book, or even their immediate descendants. Rather, it skips several centuries at least, if not millenia, and is set apparently in the Great Plains. Also, we did not initially like or connect with all of the new cast of characters.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, someday we will find that book again. (or that series) I wish we had kept them.

message 4: by Werner (new) - added it

Werner I've just moved this one from my started-not-finished shelf to the to-read shelf. When Barb and I tried to read it years ago, as I noted above, we were so disappointed that it didn't follow the same characters and setting of the first novel in the series that we gave up on it quickly --without giving it a chance to be what the authors meant it to be, rather than what we wanted. It would be only fair, I think, to give it that chance in a re-read by myself sometime, coming to it without the burden of mistaken preconceived expectations! I did like the series opener, People of the Wolf.