Aileen's Reviews > Penitence

2206485
May 13, 10

bookshelves: own
Read from May 07 to 13, 2010

To give this book any less then five stars would be a lie, actually five stars does not even begin to cover just how amazing Penitence was to me. I started reading this book at...10:10 PM last night and ended it at 3:33 AM. I devoured this book for the simple reason that it is addictive. It is just such powerful writing that you CANNOT put it down!! This is going to be long, but totally worth it, especially since it actually makes Heavenly look like a chump compared to it. Jennifer Laurens is an AMAZING writer, she is so good that while you want Zoe whole-heartedly to be with Matthias, whenever Weston comes into the picture, you actually start to forget about Matthias, until she reminds you that he is the one she truly loves. Honestly, at the beginning of the book you cannot stop crying, partially because Matthias is not there, partially because you are overjoyed to be reading it, well if you're me you are. This book deals with powerful things, such as autism, drug abuse, and so much else, including a war between good and evil, who happen to be father and son, and also happen to be Matthias (who DOES eventually show up!!) and his father Albert. I cannot WAIT to read the third book and I can only hope that it will be as good as the first two. When I started reading this, I had high expectations, thanks to the first book, but they were all surpassed ten-fold over and over again as I got deeper into the story. This is a book that makes you feel like you are there with Zoe, feeling the love that Matthias has for her, and she for him. I thought this book would be so different and I'm so glad that I could NOT in a MILLION years guess how this book was going to end up. I loved how Jennifer Laurens is able to make such a compelling story and get you hooked right back into the story from the first sentence you read. One of the best parts is that she never overdoes scenes and her recaps are never over-exaggerated or too drawn out the way some writers do. One of my favorite parts (besides the ENTIRE story!!) has to be how she describes the bad spirits, though every once in a while she may make a mention of Heaven or God, most of the time it's pretty straight forward and you can interpret and take the religious aspects pretty much any way. I loved that. It actually made the story better to me, since some authors try to kind of force their belief on you in their writing, while it seems that Jennifer Laurens does exactly the opposite, it almost feels as though she is giving you a choice on what to believe, and it's great how she actually puts that in her book with Weston and Luke. I also loved how Luke's characters got to grow such much from just the drugged out brother to someone who truly cared for Zoe and definitely has her back. Weston is also a character that I wasn't sure I was going to like at first, but I quickly grew to care and enjoy him as Zoe grew closer to him. He may be no Matthias, but he definitely has his charms. The one person I'm REALLY starting to dislike is Chase, he NEEDS to start listening to Zoe!! He needs to put his jealousy aside and get over himself. The only other character that I have always disliked was Britt. She just is such a shallow vapid creature that I know has to be in the book, but you still want her gone. She takes obsession, and jealousy to a new level of crazy I've NEVER seen before (thank goodness for that!) And speaking of jealousy, I LOVED seeing Matthias become jealous and protective over Zoe, In Heavenly you saw him love her, pretty much unconditionally, but in this book you get to see so much more from him and I LOVED it!!!I especially loved the way he would act whenever Albert was around, acting all big and powerful protecting Zoe!! It brought out this new side of him that you couldn't help but loving. The one part I can't stand about this series is that I always end up crying my eyes out. When I finished Heavenly, I was crying tears of joy, the spoiler for Penitence however...tears of rage. This book brought tears too, in the beginning when I was as worried as Zoe that Matthias wouldn't show up, and again in the middle anytime Matthias couldn't touch her, and of course at the end, though this time, purely because the book ended and I NEED MORE!!!!! I've had bad cliffhangers before, but this is SOOOO much worse!!! I just cannot STAND not knowing what's going to happen, who Zoe is going to pick!! (Though it BETTER be Matthias!!) I love this love story so much partially because Matthias is willing to let her go and live her life, still loving her unconditionally, and even if she turned evil he would still love her just that same!! Then partially because they aren't instantly thrown together and everything is solved, Matthias is trying to step back, not take over her life, and you respect his decision not only because you have to, but also because if you were in the same position, you would want to have the choice be yours and not his to make about being together. I loved this book and I think that anyone else who read it would as well. I cannot wait to read Absolution, and the MOMENT it comes out I will be on Amazon ordering it!!! I know you can only give this book five stars, but to me, in my mind, I give it TEN out of five!! (Like when rating someone 1-10 and you give them an 11.) So, without further ado, READ IT READ IT READ IT!!! you will NOT be sorry (except when it ends!!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Penitence.

Quotes Aileen Liked

Jennifer Laurens
“I can deal with anything, as long as I know it's the truth. It's the lies that are hard.”

Jennifer Laurens
“You're the first girl who's had the guts to touch my controls.”

Jennifer Laurens
“You have the poutiest lips I've ever seen.'
'Pouty?' I snorted. 'Like I look bratty?'
'Like you look kissable.”

Jennifer Laurens
“I want to be the one protecting you.”

Jennifer Laurens
“He nodded, his forehead fused with mine. 'My head fogs when you kiss me like that. I can't think,' he murmured.
'It does?' I grinned. 'I like making your head fog.' I kissed him again.”

“There's my bearcat.”