M's Reviews > You Are Not a Stranger Here

You Are Not a Stranger Here by Adam Haslett

May 24, 10

Read from April 30 to May 21, 2010

I idly picked this up off the counter at the house where I'm petsitting and can hardly set it back down. I've become a fan of short stories, after avoiding them for some unknown reason for many years. These are nothing less than amazing! I was able to focus for more than an hour and a half, an almost unheard of feat for me. I would have kept reading if I didn't need to sleep for work the next day.

I had to get this from the library to finish and sadly, had only one story left. There was only one story that I didn't like, but I wouldn't go so far as to dislike it. If I had a complaint about the book it would be the order of the stories. The last two were not a disappointment, exactly, but not as strong as some of the earlier ones. Most of the stories ended abruptly, but appropriately. I don't know if that is typical of the genre, but I preferred the few that weren't as one-sentence dramatic. I did thoroughly enjoy the book, though, and hope to find more by the author.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Are Not a Stranger Here.