Nicole's Reviews > The Tail of Emily Windsnap

The Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler

May 20, 10

Read from May 18 to 20, 2010

** spoiler alert ** The plot idea is interesting - a seventh grade girl finds out she's a mermaid when her legs become a tail the first time she's submerged in water for swim lessons - but the writing itself is weak (unless you like books with manipulative "you aren't my friend unless you do this" girl talk).

The speech Emily gives Neptune, the sea god, at the end is suppose to be a moving defense of love and families but came across as trite. Neptune, although he does the right thing in the end, was a disappointment too. I guess I expect more from my gods than individuals who get blustery over being addressed as "sir". I understand that the author might be trying to show his imperfections, but how can someone be a god, when they're just as petulant as the seventh grader who's lecturing them?

The final straw for me was when the author described Emily's height. Would it really have been THAT hard for the author to look at a measuring tape before describing their 7th grade heroine as three feet eight inches tall? My first graders are taller than that!

I gave it 2 stars for concept and an overall positive message about families, but the book was predictable, whiny, and not one that I plan to read any sequels to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tail of Emily Windsnap.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hannah Droke Wow! Your 1st graders are tall! I am going into 7th grade and Im only 4 ft 4 and a half!

Sierra I tried picking up this book again, but it seemed really, young to me. And I'm going into 7th too and I'm 5'1"