Travis Roberson's Reviews > The Salmon of Doubt

The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams

2972031
May 11, 10

Read from April 29 to May 11, 2010

The only other thing I've ever read by Douglas Adams was the Hitchhiker's series. I've yet to read a Dirk Gently novel, mostly due to their absence along library and bookstore shelves. But the five books that make up the Hitchhiker's "trilogy" was enough for me to tell that Douglas Adams was definitely one of my favorite writers.

This book, a collection of various things written by Adams and random interviews and articles that once appeared in magazines and so on, goes on to strengthen the love I hold for Adams. Every section of this book is a deep glimpse into the mind of Douglas Adams. From the comedian, to the animal lover, to the protective father, you're able to see every side of Adams in this book and it's wonderful.

Then comes the section from which this book gets it's name. The Salmon of Doubt was a work in progress aimed towards becoming the next Dirk Gently novel. Unfortunately, it was never finished due to Adams' untimely passing. And sadly, we'll never be able to see what exactly he was going to do with this work and where he was going to take it. What stands of The Salmon of Doubt shows the humor and wit that is expected with an Adams novel, but it is missing a certain polish that Adams had when it came to the final product.

Again, this is my first step into the world of Dirk Gently, but I believe it's safe to say that this book would have gone to much more better places had Adams lived to finish it. It is still highly intriguing and makes you life and think all at once, something Douglas Adams was a master at. But, let's be honest, what is collected in this compilation that composes The Salmon of Doubt is nothing more than a rough draft. However, it's a rough draft from Douglas Adams, which makes it better than more than half the finished works floating out there.

I think if Douglas Adams were still alive The Salmon of Doubt would have evolved into something truly amazing. But, like we all know, he didn't get the chance.

I found the personal thoughts and interviews of Adams to be more gripping than the fragment of his unfinished novel. This book just goes to show how marvelous a person and how incredible a mind Douglas Adams was. Anyone who is a fan of Adams and has not read this yet, you're truly missing out on something remarkable. Get to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Salmon of Doubt.

04/30/2010 page 69
23.15% "There are moments when reading Douglas Adams that I become astonished by how much alike he and Kurt Vonnegut are."
05/11/2010 page 296
99.33% "Haven't been able to read much as of late."
show 2 hidden updates…