The Flooze's Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

Apr 29, 2010

bookshelves: urban-fantasy-paranormal, owned, vanquished_2010, ya_teen, the_magic_number
Read on April 30, 2010 , read count: 1

I would highly recommend reading all of these books together. One and two do not finish in true cliffhangers, but they do feel like chapter endings rather than book endings.

The second book of the Darkest Powers Trilogy is just as exciting as the first. It covers the teens’ desperate escape from their captors and their harrowing experiences on the run. There’s a lot more character development in this book, with additional information on the kids’ powers. Chloe is still very much the 15 year-old (in a good way), but she’s also growing more wary and relying on her gut instincts to keep her safe. Derek comes out of his shell and we get a better idea of what’s lurking beneath that sullen exterior.

As with the first, there are plenty of creepy moments and a good deal of suspense, plus some great sarcastic lines from Chloe. Armstrong has done an excellent job crafting characters worth caring about and action worth fretting over. I’m off to read the next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.

Quotes The Flooze Liked

Kelley Armstrong
“When I leaned a little too close to the doorway, my inner voice piped up, telling me not to be stupid. The guy with the bionic senses was better equipped for this. ”

Kelley Armstrong
“He had a newspaper rolled in his hand, bearing down on me like a puppy that had piddled on the carpet.
"Bad Chloe,” I muttered.
"What?”
I’d forgotten his bionic hearing. “Bad Chloe.” I gestured at the rolled-up paper and put
out my hand. “Get it over with.”

Kelley Armstrong
“Derek caught my arm again as I started to move--at this rate, it was going to be as sore as my injured one.
"Dog," he said, jerking his chin toward the fenced yard. "It was inside earlier."
Expecting to see a Doberman slavering at the fence, I followed his gaze to a little puff of white fur, the kind of dog women stick in their purses. It wasn't even barking, just staring at us, dancing in place.
"Oh, my God! It's a killer Pomeranian." I glanced up at Derek. "It's a tough call, but I think you can take him.”

04/30/2010 page 1
0.28% "Don't read the description for this unless you've read book one."

Vered Ok, do I wait for book 3 to arrive or go ahead and read this one??

The Flooze It's not a cliffhanger per se. And I don't think it was even as tense an ending as book one. You should be fine. The wait probably won't kill you!

message 3: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Read it. If your book gets delayed I think you can read the Reckoning up to chapter 10 here:

Vered The Flooze (Michelle M.) wrote: ". The wait probably won't kill you!"

:p

Thanks AH!

The Flooze Good looking out, AH!

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Warning! Harper Teen pulls books off randomly and without notice. It usually happens with their full access books. What's nice about The Reckoning is that she was adding chapters on a regular basis. Not sure if she is stopping at Chapter 10 or if there will be more, but keep checking their full access page, it might appear there.

Vered Great, thanks!