Lisa's Reviews > Belle Prater's Boy

Belle Prater's Boy by Ruth White

May 04, 10

bookshelves: children-teen-books
Read from April 29 to May 03, 2010

I thought this was a good book for children that interact with other children from different walks of life. I liked how Woodrow talked about how he thought only those in the holler had bad things happen to them but he now knew that even rich people have problems. I could not help but feel for him knowing that his mother left him, but ultimately I think she knew it was the only way for Woodrow to have a chance at a better life. I think she probably knew that he would end up with her parents if she left and could live with that. Woodrow's stories also gave us some insight to his previous life.

There is a Buzz in everyone's life and I also think the author did a good job of showing how to deal with a bully, but in a positive manner. Finally, I was very impressed by the way the author portrayed Blind Benny as such a positive character despite his disability and the way he had been treated in his earlier life. He was so thankful for everything people did for him and did not look at it as being charity, but as doind something nice for someone else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Belle Prater's Boy.

04/29/2010 page 26
05/02/2010 page 91
40.63% "This book has just enough mystery to keep me coming back! I am really enjoying this book."
05/03/2010 page 175
78.13% "I should finish this one off tonight and then I will be moving on to Lizzie Bright and the Buckminister Boy."
show 2 hidden updates…