Zelekha's Reviews > The Veil and the Male Elite: A Feminist Interpretation of Women's Rights in Islam

The Veil and the Male Elite by Fatema Mernissi

U 50x66
May 16, 10

bookshelves: feminism, non-fiction
Read from April 29 to May 16, 2010

This book is what I had been searching for for a very long time! A book written by a (1) female (2) religious (3) scholar. I learned an immense amount of knowledge regarding the social, religious, political and personal circumstances involving the Prophet the spread of Islam which led to the usage of the veil and the justification for the inferior status of women in society. I applaud the author for painstaking sifting through all of the hadiths and explaining the precise methodology with which she exposed those religious edicts that were false! The author provides a revealing and enlightening look at the Prophets egalitarian vision of society and how many of respected first women of Islam were strong, intelligent women who were free to walk in public, discuss politics and determine their futures. Overall an extremely important read for those who are looking for the difficult truths that have led to the status of many women in Islam.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Veil and the Male Elite.