All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Aug 22, 10

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in August, 2010

Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

CLOCKWORK ANGEL by Cassandra Clare is the first book in The Infernal Devices series which is a prequel series to The Mortal Instruments. The setting is London during the late 1800’s and follows a new group of Shadowhunters as they match wits with vampires, demons, warlocks, and the sinister ‘Magister’ in this steampunk flavored paranormal adventure that will please old fans of Cassandra Clare while creating a whole army of new ones.

Before you start thinking you can’t read The Infernal Devices without having read The Mortal Instruments, here is what Cassandra Clare had to say on the subject:

"There is nothing in the Infernal Devices that will spoil The Mortal Instruments for you, and additionally, no information in the Mortal Instruments that you absolutely must know before you read The Infernal Devices. The two series stand alone, complementing but not spoiling each other." - Cassandra

The world in both series is the basically the same. Nephilim, human-angel hybrids who protect our world from demons. Shadowhunters, as they call themselves, also police the Downworlders: warlocks, vampires, werewolves, and faeries, while keeping humans (aka mundanes) ignorant of their existence. CLOCKWORK ANGEL does inject a healthy dose of steampunk into the mix, however, and London setting is fantastically fractured with Dickens-like details.

The main characters in CLOCKWORK ANGEL Tessa, Will, Jem, and Jessa are very reminiscent of Clary, Jace, Alec, and Isabelle from The Mortal Instruments. No one turns out to be related this time, at least not so far, but the relationship dynamics between Tessa/Clary and Will/Jace are almost identical. I liked the character development and romance between these too, I just wish it hadn’t been so familiar.

Overall, I would say the writing is okay, but the plot and pacing are better than most. Just when I thought I figured something out, the story would shift and surprise me with something better. The characters are very familiar, but I still liked the subtle differences and personal back stories (especially Jem’s) and appreciated the lack of a Star Wars-like twist in the romance. I’m already anticipating reading the next book in The Infernal Devices series, The Clockwork Prince in September 2011.

Sexual Content: References to prostitution. Kissing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.