Gokce ~Muslin Myst~'s Reviews > The Darkest Lie

The Darkest Lie by Gena Showalter

** spoiler alert ** This book was diffirent than I expected, but 'good' different. I'll get to that.
This one was about Gideon, keeper of the demon of Lies, and Scarlet, keeper of the demon of Nightmares. Now, Gideon I already liked from the previous books. A lot. Poor guy can't utter one single truth, or he suffers like crazy and is left weak and useless for days. Gideon always left the impression of a tough yet dorky guy on me. I think it was because of his sarcasm, I enjoy sarcasm a lot so the guy had only to open his mouth to win my heart.
Scarlet, on the other hand, is tough alright, but not dorky. Nowhere near dorky. She's hurt, she's angry and she's out for vengeance for she thinks Gideon had wed her, promised to come back for her and yet never did. So yeah, she's out for blood. And our awesome Gid has one huge problem, he cannot remember her.

Now, a lot happened in this book but mainly they were about Gideon and Scarlet. Surely the plot has advanced, we're left with many questions and new problems but mostly we, along with Gideon and Scarlet, deal with figuring out what's real and what's not around them. This is the 'good' different I was talking about. Up until the very end I couldn't be sure what to believe because the story kept changing. This is where I wanna talk about Scarlet a bit. She's been through a lot from her time in Tartarus, a lot. First, she has a bitch of a mother. I literally hated that stupid excuse for a mother. Then there's Cronus, I don't care if he's helping the Lords, I still hate his guts. And the whore goddess of memory, Scarlet's bitch aunt whose name I'm not even gonna waste my line to write down.

Since Scarlet's whole life was a lie, she was -rightfully- suspicious of everything. And if, perhaps, this was another book and another writer it might've bothered me but with Gena and the Lords, I could completely relate to that and understand her. Even when she constantly had doubts about Gideon. Now, I like the guy, but this girl's been through hell with some pieces of shit gods and goddesess and she had a right to question everything and everyone. But still she pulled through alright with her dignity intact.

The part where we find out about Steele was heartbreaking. Even though he never existed I found myself loving him like Scarlet and Gid. And the way they felt about that kid was beautiful. The part where Scarlet got into Gid's dream and changed it to fit the proper scene of Steele's murder, the things she thought then, the way she loved him, I could feel it. How she always thought he was beautiful with horns and fangs and scales. And it almost made me cry. This was the best, most beautiful part of the book. And this was what made me love and respect Scarlet like nothing else. I hope one day they have a boy and name him Steele.

I.Freaking.Loved.Strider. He was absolutely awesome in this one, especially the parts where he's bickering with that hunter girl, Haidee aka Ex. I kinda hope she's his HEA. I know, I know, she's killed Baden and now one of the Hunters blah blah, but c'mon, you gotta admit they were freaking adorable! Strider's book can't come soon enough.

I felt very very sorry for Amun. And if I didn't love Aeron as much as I do I'd be very angry at him for forcing Amun and William to go to hell to retrieve that bitch Legion. Why doesn't she just die already? It was bad to see Amun in full demon and his memories were harsh. He's such a lovable guy that it pained me to see him hurting that way. I hope Kaia is his HEA. And then I can forgive her for sleeping with Paris.

I was glad to see Sienna's point of view. I know a lot of people don't like her but I kinda always thought there was more than meets the eye and I think we were given a hint of that 'more'. I felt sorry for her and can't wait for her to meet up with the Lords, especially Paris. Their story will be hard.

Glad to see Torin, but I missed Cameo and Kane. Poor Kane. The guy never gets much page space. Give him more lines Gena!

Too bad I can't remember that story well, The Darkest Fire. I think it was telling stuff about Lucifer and his brother and all. And then I could tie it to William or something cause that 'brother' remark in hell made me a 'hell'uva lot curious.

The part where Scarlet and Gid's demos get out of their bodies and have sex -they have sex for God's sake!- was abso-freaking-lutely hilarious! "My demon's a girl??!!" Fucking.Hilarious. I wonder if/how that severing-physical-connection-for-a-while trick is gonna blend in with the story. There's still some hope for you guys!

I feel like I have still a lot to tell about this book but can't just remember it now. Too many feelings. All I know for sure is that I loved it, I loved how emotional it was and again, couldn't help but love Gena for making me feel these many things. She sure knows how to get the story going!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Lie.

08/15/2010 page 143
32.0% "Gideon, I've been dying to read you!!!!"
08/17/2010 page 232
52.0% "Stuff.Happening. I knew I never liked you 'knee-mah' or whatever he called you -I can't remember now..And I forgot about you, guess there was a reason." 14 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leah Am I gonna get a long ass message now?! Yay, I can't wait! :D

message 2: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Wow you have finished it, dear :D
I know you'll give it 5 stars.
My fave part and Quote is when Gideon said : My Demon is a girl?
Really funny ^^
(And, actually I'm surprised too, lol)

Leah Ren, I loved that part, too! And when Cronus and Gid were eating popcorn and watching Scar and Neemah fight. LOL

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Leah *~*Pherocious*~* wrote: "Am I gonna get a long ass message now?! Yay, I can't wait! :D"

LMAO!!! You know you did!!! ;D

Ren
I frwaking loved that part and quote! Unfortunately I already saw that quote somewhere and guessed it belonged to Gideon but still the circumstances I did not guess LOL.

Leah,
Omg how could I forget about that part? That part was awesome. And just because it was fun with Gideon and Cronus but also because Scarlet kicked some whore ass! I could've used some popcorn myself reading that ;)

Leah Whooo hooo! I have to go read it and respond now! LOL. I totally agree with you about the popcorn! I was cheering Scar on right along with Gid! LOL

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Go Scar!! \o/

Leah Whooo hooo, Scar! LOL

message 8: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren You go Scar!
But I miss Anya :(

Leah Yeah, there was a conspicuous lack of other females in this novel. The only one who really showed up was Olivia, and only in one part. I miss Anya, too, but Scar is now my absolute favorite female! She's so sassy and feisty! LOL :)

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Oh I loved Scar, but I agree Ren, I missed Anya too, she's hilarious! I missed her mischiefs :D

message 11: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I missed her mischief, too, but I felt like Scar had that, too. She put Gid through the ringer, LOL

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ That's true, and all the while reading I thought 'I like this woman!' cause yeah, she was great. Even after all the hell she got through thanks to some skank :D

message 13: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I know. Through the whole book I was just sitting there with a goofy smile saying, "Man, I love Scarlet!" LOL. So true. I'm so glad that bitch is dead. No more fucking with our girl!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Yep, no more fucking with Scar! And now that she has Gideon to back her up, he'd be *kissing* the hell out of those who mess with her! :D

message 15: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Damn straight! LOL.

No More Fucking With Scar...Sounds like another button to me :D LMAO

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LOL. I love this!!! :D

message 17: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL. Me too! I'm so glad we started this idea ;P

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Me too!!!!! LOL

message 19: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah We are just so brilliant ;)

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Yay we are!!! :P

message 21: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL ;D

message 22: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Have you all read

The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld, #7) by Gena Showalter excerpt???

Oohhh, can't wait for April's next year >.<

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Oh yeah I did Ren!! Even though I'm still a bit sad about the pairings I'm still excited!

message 24: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Yeah, I read the excerpt! Awesome as hell! LOL

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ This is the one where he's trying to reach her after he wakes up yeah? And Strider is freaking there!!!! Grr.

message 26: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Yeah! Silly Strider! Thinking he could keep Amun away from Haidee. What was the man thinking!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Yeah, but he was supposed to be the one to be forced to stay away dammit!!

message 28: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL. I know, honey, I know *pats shoulder reassuringly*

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ *sigh* It's just not fair..
Kaia better make my Strider happy or I'll be happy kick some Harpy ass!

message 30: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah And of course I'll join you, darlin'.

message 32: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL ;P

message 33: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren When I know Haidee is paired with Amun, I,m "Huh?"
And then Strider with Kaia, I'm "Double Huh?"
and from her Twitter Chat, Gena said, Willy's heroine is not Gilly (maybe, still not sure), I'm "What the..."

Really, if she still surprised us, LOTU will be great series, and Gena will be my author goddess after Larissa Ione and Jeaniene Frost *lol*

message 34: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL. She said that she does see Willie and Gilly together, though, so I hope she puts them together!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Damn! Well, girls, I just hope we can get at least right about ONE of our fave pairings!
Otherwise I think I might cry..

message 36: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Otherwise I WILL cry! We need to be right about at least one pair!