AdultFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > The Host

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

TCL Call #: SF Meyer

Madeleine - 1 star
I got roped in. That's the only thing I can come up with when I try to think about why I finished this book. Normally, when something is this bad I put it down at page 50 but I liked her Twilight series so I thought I'd give it until page 100. Something was actually happening on that page so I kept reading and then it became that it was the only book I had in the house so I kept picking it up. But that is NOT a testament as to its read-ability.
It remin...more TCL Call #: SF Meyer

It reminded me of another hated book "The Road", where nothing happened and the tone was monotonous and the point was to show the never-changing gray post-apocalyptical landscape. Well the landscape is our beloved Earth it's just the aliens inhabiting our bodies that are never changing. Told from the viewpoint of one of these steady beings it's a bit bland. Gray.
Plus, is it just me or does Stephenie Meyer have a thing with two men fighting over one torn (and a yawn of a) female? She obviously did that in Twilight but she falls back on it again in The Host. And in this there's nothing to distract you from it unlike Twilight which had some action going for it. She also very much overdoes the "mother" drive. Remeber in Twilight how Bella got all nuts and was turning towards the crazy blond vampire to protect her baby while it consumed her from the inside out and uber-mommy she was after? That's nothing compared to how this alien behaves towards her human host body's little brother. When he's ill she lays next to him repeating his name over and over and over until she's hoarse. And then of course potentially sacrifices herself to help him. Sigh.
Just. Not. In. To. It.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Host.