Kim's Reviews > Evernight

May 01, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2010, ebook, young-adult
Read from April 29 to May 01, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Okay, so how shall I put this... I have a few... issues with this book. Kim is bothered.

First of all: I like subtlety. I like surprises. But altering your writing to deliberately hide something very important, never even hinting towards it even once and then suddenly go SURPRIIIIIISE! is not my idea of writing a good story. It would be the same thing if we suddenly find out Bianca has a penis. Vampires are mentioned once during an English lit class. Bianca bites Lucas and suddenly we learn:

- Everybody is a vampire
- Bianca has always been a vampire
- Bianca was born that way

And from then on the word 'vampire' is mentioned practically every other sentence. Also, what's up with the humans? They are supposed to be there to 'help the vamps adjust to the new world'. Which brings me to my next issue: The vamps act like they lived under a rock for most of their long lives. Yes the world changes, new inventions pop up left and right. But it doesn't happen overnight. If you need classes to learn how to use a microwave then I'm seriously doubting the intelligence of the average vampire. Yet they all act like they were zapped into this century. Gee, I'm 'only' 27 and I wonder how on earth I managed to learn how to 'operate' my iPod (that has no wireless connection because that's EXACTLY what I'd want to do on my tiny screen, check my email *eyeroll*) in such a short amount of time.

My other problem with the humans is why anybody would think it's a good idea to put a few walking and talking blood banks in the middle of a horde of hungry vamps. I know it's mandatory in this kind of books, Bianca and Lucas have to be complete opposites, but the only reason for them going to the same school is because the mix of vampires, schools and forbidden love is hot right now. Of course later we find out Bianca and Lucas are supposed to be archenemies, which makes it even more difficult for them to stay out of each other's pants.

What really bothered me is the explanation how Bianca can become a full vampire instead of a half-baked version of one. 'Oh you just slip into some old folks home and snack on the first sucker who looks nearly dead enough'. I'm sorry what? You'd still be taking a life, I'm sorry if being a vampire automatically comes with a god complex but it's still wrong to murder somebody.

And last but not least: There are 2 ways to become a vampire. You are born one or you are made. If a vampire bites you 'enough times' you become a vampire yourself. How many times is that exactly? 4 times? 10 times? 50 times? And does every time count or does this wear off like say if a vampire bites you 5 times in a short amount of time, does that effect a person in the same way as if it was done during a one year period? And how come Lucas suddenly learned a few vampire tricks himself? How are Bianca's powers transferred into him exactly? And for a vampire slayer you'd think he would be able do the math himself after she bit him so why did he get upset with Bianca when he found out what she was? He could have been playing dumb but he seemed genuinely surprised when she came out of the coffin.

I'm reading the sequel to this because I hope it gets better or at least better thought through.
68 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evernight.

05/01 page 336
100%
02/10 marked as: read

message 1: by Kim (last edited Apr 29, 2010 11:16AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I have zero expectations.

ETA: I just noticed there is a character in there named Balthazar. *dies laughing*

~Tina~ Okay, I am so curious what you'll think of this (these) book(s).
Beware of a big WTF moment. Just saying...

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Really? Awesome, but I'm resisting the urge to read spoilers.

Curious is not a good look for me but I'm going to spend all the self-control I haven't bothered to use in the past 10 years right now just to prove I can be a grownup whenever I want to be.

6 minutes later...

This feels like I'm quitting smoking all over again.

~Tina~ Ouch!

Be strong! I believe in you:D

Arlene LOL Kim! I love Balthazar!!! Enjoy the books. :)

Arlene BTW, have you gotten to the WTF yet? It's about mid book. :)

~Tina~ CHAPTER 8!! I remember that WTF moment like yesterday LOL!! But dame I'm glad I got over it! Brilliant series!

~whispers Lucas is better then Balty~ Tehe!

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Why on earth did you think it was a good idea to give me directions?

XD

message 9: by ~Tina~ (last edited Apr 29, 2010 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Oopsy...sorry Kim! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Arlene started it!

message 10: by Arlene (last edited Apr 29, 2010 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arlene LMAO! Chapter EIGHT...

Kim, your jaw is going to drop and it will hurt when it falls and lands on the floor... just a little bit... but pick it up and keep on reading. Don't stop... just keep going.

Lucus is my fave after Hourglass, but I lurves Balthazar. I'm a fickle girl... what can I say. ;)

message 11: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F Sadly, I know what the WTF moment is without even reading it, because I read a spoilerific review. What can I say? Whenever I see a spoiler warning, I feel compelled to read on.

~Tina~ Pesky spoilers! They are designed to torment us in every delicious way possible:D

oliviasbooks Evernight = not for me.

message 14: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Oh god, if Lucas turns out to be her brother I'm going to stop reading. I'm SO glad this is an ebook and not a paper book, it would take too long for me to start flipping through the pages.

Aw Morgan, I know exactly how you feel, whenever I see the word spoiler my eyes just won't stop reading.

Olivia, I'll probably won't like it much either, our tastes are pretty similar.

message 15: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I'm sorry, what?

This is... I don't even... How did... Why is... So she... And Lucas is... I'm... I'm...

*frowns*

Huh.

message 16: by ~Tina~ (last edited Apr 30, 2010 09:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ Kim wrote: "I'm sorry, what?

*frowns*

Huh."

LMFAO!!! So did we reach the WTF!!! Yeah, my thoughts exactly, you should read my review! HA!
Keep reading though:D

Arlene Tina.... yes... me thinks she stumbled across the famous Evernight WTF.

LMAO!!!

message 18: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Pardon my French but where the fuck did that come from?

Arlene Bwahahahahaha I am actually laughing here at work! I felt the SAME way!! I was so mad at Bianca for keeping that from us... Kinda important to know.. doncha think? LOL

Gray is an evil genius though. Like a loose cannon.

Keep reading though. You'll love it.

Alexa hehe I loved that moment. It woke me up & kept me reading the book.

~Tina~ ~still laughing like mad~ I'm sorry Kim, but I KNEW you'd have a reaction that I was DYING to hear. Yup, that would about covers it:D
Seriously, keep reading!

message 22: by Kim (last edited Apr 30, 2010 09:54AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Be glad none of you saw my face XD

By now I wouldn't have been surprised if something in the lines of "Yeah I changed my name to Bianca after my big operation" popped up and I knew there was something fishy going on at that school, but I was expecting Lucas to be the one with the big teeth.

I'm having a little trouble with the logic here, how could she not have known? I'm guessing my questions will be answered later.

message 23: by ~Tina~ (last edited Apr 30, 2010 09:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ That's just the thing here hun, she ALWAYS knew, the big WTF is that she's a Vamp and SHE KNEW!! Gray for what ever reason didn't think of cluing in the readers with that little tidbit. I had to put the book down and read it in a whole new way. VERY misleading!! BUT, it's a AWESOME series from there---on. Read this one and see if you likey.

message 24: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim She knew? o_O

The taste of blood in her mouth in the beginning is the only thing I remember that made me think "what's up with that?"

message 25: by ~Tina~ (last edited Apr 30, 2010 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ YuPPP She knew, but we sure hell didn't. I call it a WTF moment cause it was extremely misleading and I wanted to throw the book in the garbage, but then I remember that's a sin.
Keep reading! I don't want you to give up yet >.<

message 26: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F "but then I remember that's a sin."

hahaha. it really is.

Arlene LOL Good review! Sorry you didn't enjoy it. The second and third book are pretty good IMO, but then again, I also liked this one. :)

~Tina~ I feel your frustrations here hun, I completely agree with you and I'm sorry you didn't likey. Hope the second will be better for ya. Good Review!

message 29: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I think I was a bit generous with my 2 stars, I've had some time to think it over.

It's not that I didn't enjoy reading it, but there were just so many things that felt weird.

oliviasbooks I think I was a bit generous with my 2 stars.. Haha. I admit, I am a bit gleeful today. Must be that wicked faery story I tried to get into.

Kristy I love this series but..... this just made me laugh out loud.

message 32: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Kristy wrote: "I love this series but..... this just made me laugh out loud."

I'm glad I amuse you. My head is a scary place ^^

Kristy and, if you think this one was bad..... you should read the 3rd installment. I take back my comment about loving this series!!!

message 34: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Kristy wrote: "and, if you think this one was bad..... you should read the 3rd installment. I take back my comment about loving this series!!!"

Oh... I read it alright. I honestly don't know why. XD

Kristy I went out and bought it!!! WTF was i thinking?!?!?!?

message 36: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Temporary insanity?

message 37: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F Aliens. Aliens obviously took over her brain just long enough for her to purchase the book. It is part of their overall plan to make human's insane (therefore easier to take over) by making them read bad writing.

message 38: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I love how you think Morgan.

message 39: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F Thank you. At least someone appreciates my superior thinking.

Kristy Aliens... I'll let them take over my brain if 'Mulder' from X-files examines me.................. hehe

Joyzi Well said Kim

message 42: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Thank you Joyzi ^^

Rogue Morgan wrote: "Aliens. Aliens obviously took over her brain just long enough for her to purchase the book. It is part of their overall plan to make human's insane (therefore easier to take over) by making them ..."

That is SO true!! LOL!

message 44: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Rogue Cinnamon Lola wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Aliens. Aliens obviously took over her brain just long enough for her to purchase the book. It is part of their overall plan to make human's insane (therefore easier to take over) ..."

XD

message 45: by Reem (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reem So all in all did u like the books?
I'm waiting for the last one coming out in March i think. I'm just wondering how it will end because it's the last one.

message 46: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Reem, I'll be honest, I had more fun ranting about these books than anything else ^^ I enjoyed the first two the most, the third one not so much, but I am reading the 4th book because I want to know how it ends.

I have a thing for flawed books, some of them are pretty hilarious ^^

message 47: by Reem (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reem hahahaha ok
ya I didn't like the third one either very much either

message 48: by Jessie (new)

Jessie R I'm an alien... I just didn't realise it till halfway through this sentence.. Sorry, I'm merely following the flawed logic of this book;)

message 49: by Reem (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reem Haha well it was a nice twist. I wasn't so bad.

Carole You took the words right out of my mouth. What a great review, only thing is you have more patience than me as I am not bothering with the rest of the series. Oh well on to other series!

« previous 1