AdultNonFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > The Tale of the Rose: The Love Story Behind The Little Prince

The Tale of the Rose by Consuelo de Saint-Exupéry

TCL Call #: 848.91 Saint-Exupery

Madeleine - 2 stars
This is the memoir of the woman who inspired the rose in the Little Prince. I'm not sure if it's because she wrote it in French even though her native tongue is Spanish that caused the stories to seem abrupt and disjointed. I surely would be writting funny if I tried to switch to Spanish right now. I almost never read a book's introduction but I am glad I did in this instance as it pointed out that fact:

"A year or two after Antoine's disappearance [on a reconnaissance mission over Nazi-occupied France:],Consuelo began to write a letter of her own, a very long letter, telling the story of their marriage. Perhaps she wrote it in French, which was always harder for her than her native Spanish, because she was writing it for him, and his Spanish was never very good."

In the end it is passionate whirlwind of a story of "the Rose" who is mysteriously desired by the poets and artists she meets in an extraordinary time in Paris. Her romance to Antoine occurs upon the instance of their meeting and in fact he proposes that day.

I gave it two stars because I found it difficult to read. The people seem insane but is that because of the times or because ot the translation or because they actually were out and out nuts. Either way it's worth a perusal but from a distance.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tale of the Rose.