Krista Ashe's Reviews > The Sky is Everywhere

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Sep 30, 10

bookshelves: my-110-of-2010-books
Read in September, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Seriously, if there were 10 Stars, I would give it to this book. I'm still sitting here reeling after devouring this book in one sitting. I would like to write to Jandy Nelson and tell her how much this book meant to me and how well she captured the essence of grief. I literally went through highlighting passages in some places b/c they spoke to me so much, mainly with the loss of my mother. We had a Bailey/Lennie relationship in many ways...well, she always let me know she was the mother, lol, but she was my best friend. I could tell her anything like Lennie did Bailey. Like the grief that Lennie, Toby, and her grandmother experience, you can feel isolated, manic depressive, tiptoeing through the tuilips one minute, gates of hell the next etc when you experience the loss of someone you love. I especially connected with the line when she realizes that Bailey isn't going to be there for her to tell her about Joe. There are so many times I have experienced this in my own life.

Not only is the emotional intensity for Lennie, Gram, and Uncle Big, but the language itself is so beautiful it moves you to tears sometimes. It also made me want to throw my laptop across the room and never write again! LOL What she does with storyline of the notes that Lennie writes on gum wrappers, lunch sacks, etc...and then the fact
that Joe has been collecting them....heart melt, tears...buckets of tears!!! And the heartbreak when he saw her kissing Toby!!! NOOOOOO, literally escaped my mouth. And then when she discovered the truth about her mother and how Gram had been her mother all along...priceless.

Srsly, this review cannot do the book justice. But I've totally experienced what Lennie did with her bff Sarah....of pulling away, but not wanting to b/c you're experiencing something that another person can't understand. I also adored Joe's character. It's so refreshing to see a LI that's not a football jock, but who is a musically and emotionally gifted individual. The scenes where he would come to the house in the mornings....heart melt!!!
I literally gasped outloud with Lennie when she felt Toby, Bailey's exboyfriend's hardon as well as when Toby revealed that Bailey was pregnant when she died....the images that Lennie had of her and the baby were heartbreakingly vivid, and I was brought to tears. I was also heartbroken thinking of the immense grief that Toby was experiencing along with the burden of keeping the baby a secret.

I thought the family dynamic was steller. Loved Uncle Big! Loved the grandmother, loved Joe's brother's.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sky is Everywhere.

Quotes Krista Liked

Jandy Nelson
“My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath. I will never stop grieving Bailey because I will never stop loving her. That's just how it is. Grief and love are conjoined, you don't get one without the other. All I can do is love her, and love the world, emulate her by living with daring and spirit and joy.”

“grief is a house
where the chairs
have forgotten how to hold us
the mirrors how to reflect us
the walls how to contain us

grief is a house that disappears
each time someone knocks at the door
or rings the bell
a house that blows into the air
at the slightest gust
that buries itself deep in the ground
while everyone is sleeping

grief is a house where no one can protect you
where the younger sister
will grow older than the older one
where the doors
no longer let you in
or out”

Jandy Nelson
“Our tongues have fallen madly in love and gotten married and moved to Paris.”

Jandy Nelson
“... if you're someone who knows the worst thing can happen at any time, aren't you also someone who knows the best thing can happen at any time too?”

Jandy Nelson
“Who wants to know that the person you love and need the most can just vanish forever”

Jandy Nelson
“Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes part of you, step for step, breath for breath.”

Jandy Nelson
“I could step out of this sad life like it's an old sorry dress.”

Jandy Nelson
“That's exactly it—I am crazy sad, and somewhere deep inside, all I want is to fly.”

Jandy Nelson
“I wonder why bereaved people even bother with mourning clothes when the grief itself provides such an unmistakable wardrobe.”

Jandy Nelson
“Grief and love are conjoined, you don't get one without the other. All I can do is love her, and love the world, emulate her by living with daring and spirit and joy.”

Jandy Nelson
“How will I survive this missing? How do others do it? People die all the time. Every day. Every hour. There are families all over the world staring at beds that are no longer slept in, shoes that are no longer worn. Families that no longer have to buy a particular cereal, a kind of shampoo. There are people everywhere standing in line at the movies, buying curtains, walking dogs, while inside, their hearts are ripping to shreds. For years. For their whole lives. I don't believe time heals. I don't want it to. If I heal, doesn't that mean I've accepted the world without her?”

Jandy Nelson
“According to all the experts, it's time for me to talk about what I'm going through... I can't. I'd need a new alphabet, one made of falling, of tectonic plates shifting, of the deep devouring dark.”

Jandy Nelson
“What kind of world is this? And what do you do about it? What do you do when the worst thing that can happen actually happens?”

Jandy Nelson
“Gram made me go to the doctor
to see if there was something wrong
with my heart.
After a bunch of tests, the doctor said:
Lennie, you lucked out.
I wanted to punch him in the face,
but instead I started to cry
in a drowning kind of way.
I couldn't believe
I had a lucky heart
when what I wanted
was the same kind of heart
as Bailey.
I didn't hear Gram come in,
or come up behind me,
just felt her arms slip around my shaking frame,
then the press of both her hands hard
against my chest, holding it all in,
holding me together.
before the doctor or I
could utter a word.
How could she possibly have known
that I'd gotten good news?”

Jandy Nelson
“At least, the sun had the decency to stay the hell away from us.”

Jandy Nelson
“He's bent over the strings tuning his guitar with such passionate attention I almost feel I should look away but I can't. In fact I'm full on gawking wondering what it would be like to be cool and casual and fearless and passionate and so freaking alive just like he is- and for a split second I want to play with him. I want to disturb the birds. Later as he plays and plays as all the fog burns away I think he's right. That's exactly it- I am crazy sad and somewhere deep inside all I want is to fly.”

Jandy Nelson
“Who wants to know we are just one carefree breath away from the end? Who wants to know that the person you love and need the most can just vanish forever?”

Jandy Nelson
“I don't know how the heart withstands it.”

Jandy Nelson
“He murmers into my hair, "Forget what I said earlier, let's stick with this, I might not survive anything more." I laugh. Then he jumps up, finds my wrists, and pins them over my head. "Yeah, right. Totally joking, I want to do everything with you, whenever you're ready, I'm the one, promise?" He's above me, batting and grinning like a total hooplehead.
"I promise," I say.
"Good. Glad that's decided." He raises an eyebrow. "I'm going to deflower you, John Lennon.”