Erin's Reviews > Lift

Apr 25, 11

bookshelves: 2011, memoirs, nonfiction, favorites
Recommended for: Marika, Danica, Shera, Amber, Raquel, Molly
Read from April 19 to 23, 2011

Loved this little book. Written as a letter to her daughters, I found myself feeling like I could have been the one to write it many times throughout. Corrigan talks about memories and impermanence:

"I heard once that the average person barely knows ten stores from childhood and those are based more on photographs and retellings than memory. So even with all the videos we take, the two boxes of snapshots under my desk, and the 1,276 photos in folders on the computer, you'll be lucky to end up with a dozen stories. You won't remember how it started with us, the things that I know about you that you don't even know about yourselves. We won't come back here."

She goes on to talk about how the person she is as her children are young and she is writing is different than the person she will be when they are older. I understand that feeling all too well as I struggle to make memories with my small children every day and to fully grasp and appreciate each moment, be it amazing and wonderful or frustrating and difficult.

I also enjoyed her writing style to her daughters - she surprised me by writing to them as though they were mature adults when reading. Whenever I think of writing to my kids it is with their childish nature in mind. It's interesting to think about their adult take on things. She says, "I don't know when you'll read this. Maybe when you're a teenager? No, probably later, when you're on the verge of parenthood and it occurs to you for the first time that someone has been loving you for that long."

It took my breath away near the end when Corrigan talked about the tender moments she and her girls share when she tells them they were her dream. In Bree's room above her window is a plaque that reads, "I am a dream come true" and I tell her, and will tell her brother, that they are my dreams come true.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lift.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marika (new) - added it

Marika Gillis I found this book for sale at the East library this morning and totally picked it up because you had just read it (oh, and I like that it's short)! :)

Erin I think you'll really like it!