Susan's Reviews > Spinning in the Old Way

Spinning in the Old Way by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts

May 21, 10

Read from April 29 to May 01, 2010

Eye-opening book for me. I assumed spindles were for people interested in historical reenactment. This book turned my head. Fascinating history of spindling plus good advice for a beginner like me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spinning in the Old Way.

message 1: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· I always have to smile at the idea of spinning: in colloquial German the expression 'Du spinnst' means you're crazy, you have weird ideas, like spinning a tale, spinning a fantasy, although it also has the basic meaning of spinning yarn. Once a colleague of my husband's said to him that his wife 'spinnt' und would I like to join her? That has always tickled me.

Susan I was playing around with the different meanings of spinning when I was at a writing group session and wasn't sufficiently involved to do anything productive. So I'll remember your comments about spinning in German. Of course, the American expression, "spin doctor" is interesting too, though the phrase would not have worked if the connotation was heavily on "you're crazy or weird". Thought actually a spin doctor is a fantasist.

message 3: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· Agreed, yes. I always imagined that the 'spin' part of spin doctor had to do with the spin on a ball so that it would bounce unpredictably. But then basically spinning yarn must come from the fact that the spindle spins round, so it's all connected.