Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)'s Reviews > A Kingdom of Dreams

A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught

Apr 17, 11

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read from November 28 to 29, 2010 — I own a copy

This is the first book I have read by Judith McNaught and I really enjoyed it and am now on the look out for the next in the Westmoreland series.

Jennifer Merrick, the eldest child of the Laird Merrick has been kidnapped by Royce Westmoreland, the Wolf, a man with a reputation for ruthlesness and cruelty; a man who merrily crushes the enemies of England under his large and bloody boots. However, that is not quite what Jenny finds, and what ensues is a battle of wills between the headstrong Jenny and Englands deadliest and bravest knight Royce Westmoreland.

I have heard many a good thing about this book, and although I was slightly dissappointed that it didn't quite live up to its reputation, I still really enjoyed reading it. I liked both main characters, although it took me a while to warm up to Royce. Jenny, however I liked from the start, I have seen reviews critisizing her stubborn behaviour, but I felt I completely understood her, I don't believe Royce acted very well towards her until the last 100 pages or so. Having said that, when Royce did finally see things from more then just his perspective he was an irrestible hero!

The only thing I didn't like was their ages, I think it may be my modern mind but a 17 year old marrying a 29 year old just seems wrong, especially when he refers to her as a child-woman. But it is all relative and in the time set it wa a common practise.

In conclusion I thought this book was good, the characters were all well realized, including secondary characters and the plot was interesting.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kingdom of Dreams.

11/28/2010 page 94
22.0% "I am loving this"
show 2 hidden updates…

Shell Schroth LOVE, LOVE... Judith McNaught... HR Goddess, as far as this gal's concerned. :)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick This was such a great book! I love how Jennifer redeemed herself there at the end.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) This is my first book by her, by I have requested "Whitney, My Love" on my swap site so fingers crossed I get it!

I liked that as well, I admit se was being silly at the end by sitting with her family, but I understood why she did it.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick She was so desperate for their love, she'd do anything to please them, to fit in.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I know, it was kind of sad, but then Royce hadn't treated her that nicely until after they were married either, and then the thing with her brother.

message 6: by UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick (last edited Nov 29, 2010 03:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Yeah.... I'm so glad you read this first. When you read Whitney (hopefully the extended version) you'll go, "Awwww...." when you read the parts about Jennifer and Royce.... so, so good. Whitney takes place about 8 generations after AKoD, so the way they revisited it was the icing on the cake of Jennifer and Royce's story.

And don't forget the part where Royce presents her to the people as his wife and, the exact words he says... Again, I went, "Awwww...." *sigh*

Alycia This was my first McNaught too and definitely a favorite. You will be on an emotional roller coaster with Whitney My Love but it's a wonderful story as well.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Oh I can't wait hopefully I will get "Whitney, My Love" through soon. I love it when books show you the characters after their HEA.

Oh I liked that bit as well, introducing her as his equal, that was when I began to like him again!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick You'll love Whitney, Suzanne. But like Alycia said, it's a roller coaster ride of emotions. Keep LOADS of tissues handy!

message 11: by ♥ Sarah ♥ (new)

♥ Sarah ♥ Haven't heard of this one but I'll have to give it a shot. Great review!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Thanks. You shoudl definiately give it a go, it was good. : )

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ So this was the 17-29 ages book :)
Nice review Suzanne, I realized I had this already on my to-read shelf and perhaps I can overlook the age difference too since it was appropriate in its time :)
Besides, a battle of wills is too intriguing!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Yep, it bigged me out I put it to the back of my mind, even though...ewww!

Thanks : ) It is good, although wasn't that keen on the hero, although he was great at the end.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I adored this book. *sigh*

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) It was good, it had a few niggles for me, like the age thing and Royce sometimes annoyed me, but I did like it. I am trying to get "Whitney, My Love" but with no luck : (

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Suzanne wrote: "It was good, it had a few niggles for me, like the age thing and Royce sometimes annoyed me, but I did like it. I am trying to get "Whitney, My Love" but with no luck : ("

I came to love Royce and Jennifer even more in Whitney, even though Whitney takes place 8 generations later.

Good luck finding it!

message 18: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri I have loved everything that JM has put out for the most part. Some of her contemporaries didn't always hit my notes. Great review Suzanne.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Thanks, I can't wait to read it and the one afterwards, I am hoping to get it after xmas with whatever book vouchers I get!

Thanks Keri : ) This is my first book by her, but I doubt it will be my last.