Alise's Reviews > Stuff Christians Like

Stuff Christians Like by Jon Acuff

F 50x66
Apr 29, 10

Read in April, 2010

If there's one satirical Christian book you read this year, absolutely without any question, make it this one.

I've been a fan of Jonathan Acuff's blog Stuff Christians Like for a few years now. Being in the Church, he is able to address problems in the Church in a way that many outside of that construct are unable to quite hit correctly. He has an obvious love for the Church, but is able to pick on some of our idiosyncrasies in a much more genuine way than I've ever seen.

The book is no different. It includes a number of essays from his blog, but many new essays as well. I personally have read the "Witnessing" chapter half a dozen times and it still cracks me up every time. His "Guide to Food Prayers" is fantastic, and his essays about sex and singleness are so funny, I'm afraid I'm going to pee myself reading them. And the cartoons all through the book are absolutely brilliant. Mark Sheeres's illustrations just capture the heart of the book perfectly.

Aside from that, he also has the Saturday Night Cryfest, which is a collection of some of his Serious Wednesday posts. They have an element of humor to them, but these dial back the sarcasm a bit. One in particular (Thinking Your Naked) has me in tears every time.

If you've been a member of the Christian faith for any amount of time, please, I urge you to pick up this book. It's the perfect blend of insight and humor. I can't recommend it highly enough!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stuff Christians Like.