Jennifer's Reviews > Still Alice

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Feb 03, 12

bookshelves: general-fiction, fiction, read-in-2012, all-time-favorites
Read from January 19 to 20, 2012

Alice Howland has the perfect life. She's a respected researcher, lecturer and tenured Harvard professor. She has a husband she loves and three grown children. And she has Early Onset Alzheimer's disease. This is Alice's story as she discovers her diagnosis and rapidly begins to lose her memories and herself.

I was reminded poignantly of Flowers for Algernon as I read this book because both books use the tenor, pace and word choice of the story to vividly portray the protagonists mental state. In the begining of the story there are rich details, lots of description, dialogue and a host of characters. As the story progresses those things fall away and it's heart-breaking to watch Alice grope blindly for a missing word, to look at someone she's known all her life and see only a stranger, to read words repeated verbatim because Alice has no idea she just said them.

This book is beautiful and remarkable and heart-wrenching. I had tears in my eyes as I finished it. A remarkable bit of story-telling that is flawlessly and beautifully executed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Alice.