Tim's Reviews > The Enemy

The Enemy by Lee Child

May 11, 10

Read from April 28 to May 11, 2010

If you've seen my reviews on the Jack Reacher series (I've reviewed "Without Fail" and "Persuader" for Goodreads, read all eight so far, couple more in the queue), you'll know I REALLY like this guy. This book is an interesting flashback to the days when Reacher was an MP in early 1990, when the Berlin Wall was coming down and it was very ambiguous what would happen to the various branches of the Military with no big enemy to fight and therefore justify all those Defense expenditures. The particular focus here is the Infantry vs. Armored, and it's a jolly romp through several murders, high-level negotiations, a missing agenda a general who has a majorly inconvenient heart attack at a No-Tell Motel, and the usual involvement with a woman (this time it's a petite African-American MP lieutentnt, smart, tough, insightful, all that stuff, as well as a good investigation partner for Reacher). Add in a dying mom in Paris, a brother who's in Intelligence, and General Garber, Reaher's commandant (both of whom "appear" in earlier books, but I ain't a-gonna say how, that would spoil the surprise), some MP friends from all over the world, lots of plane rides and Humvee rides, fights with low-lifes and high command, a red herring or two, and you got the makings of a good mystery with a kick-ass hero. Only complaint I had with this one is similar to some other books, namely that I "got" some of the clues before these supposedly bright MP/Civilian police people did. Gotta keep the reader guessing, Mr. Child! No matter, "One Shot" is next! Another fun read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enemy.