Jeff's Reviews > It Can't Happen Here

It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

May 13, 10

Read from April 28 to May 08, 2010

Interesting read. Considering it was written in 1935, the story has quite a bit of relevance in today's world. Here we have a presidential candidate, Buzz Windrip, promising to take on the evil bankers and redistribute wealth so everyone can prosper. He is seen by a character in the book as "the Heaven-blest fall of revivifying rain upon a parched and thirsty land." Wow, that all sounds eerily familiar.

The people flock in droves to the promise of rescue giving up liberties as they go. The candidate in Lewis's book also has a private army developed during his campaign. At first they are simply a "Marching Clubs" in support of the candidate, but when he gets elected they become his private army enforcing his policies and enabling him to become a virtual dictator.

Here is an interesting quote from our current president during his campaign."We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded." Interesting.

Lewis captures the independent spirit of the common American through the struggles of his main character. The reader follows small-town newspaper editor Doremus Jessup as his world falls apart and the America he loved is transformed.

I'm surprised this book hasn't received similar coverage as "Atlas Shrugged" considering the current events.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Can't Happen Here.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Obama's apparent affection with a CIVILIAN National Security force scared the pee out of me the first time I heard it. Still does when he talks about nullifying the 2nd amendment.