William Herschel's Reviews > Maurice

Jun 04, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: swap, 2010, sexuality, romance
Read from June 03 to 04, 2010 — I own a copy

In a highly structured society, Maurice is a conventional young man in almost every way, "stepping into the niche that England had prepared for him": except that he his homosexual.

It seems like a common request, for books dealing with homosexuality to end happily or for a book that doesn't bash you over the head with mentioning it. This would be one of them. This was a coming-of-age tale of Maurice Hall who is, unfortunately as the blurb says, very conventional and ordinary.

While the book does paint a good idea of the time period and how homosexuality was treated at the time (the book wasn't even published until much later due to condemnation on the topic), I found most of it dull and slumbery. Maurice's reveries were nice and parts of the book were touching but there was too much I didn't care for, especially the dialogue. Maurice is really, truly quite normal and it can therefore be kind of a slog if you can't relate to his situation (which seems to be the biggest complaint now that I look through the reviews-- TOO ENGLISH, they say)

I'm also kind of surprised at how different this book seemed to me when compared to A Passage To India. I don't think I'd recommend to anyone who wasn't looking for a book in this particular niche.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maurice.

06/03/2010 page 69