Holly's Reviews > Untamed

Untamed by Elizabeth Lowell

Aug 28, 12

bookshelves: favorites, historical-romance
Read on December 04, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

May have slight spoilers.

Untamed by Elizabeth Lowell is one of my favorite Historical Romance novels—she is very much neck and neck with Julie Garwood on my list!

It is also among the first Historical Romances I ever read, so this could have some bearing on my love and impressions I have of the historical genre in general.

I know some people do not like them because the men are do ‘do what I tell you’ my little sister’s hates Historical Romances because of that. But really? It doesn’t bother me at all; really I think I prefer it. Dominate men…Maybe I was just born in the wrong time though.

I love the possessiveness of the men in Historical Romances and in this novel Dominic le Sabre, a returning knight from the Crusades to Scotland to claim what is his by the King, his land and wife, is very much protective and possessive of his little falcon, the well loved Margaret of Blackthorne.

Lady Margaret will wed the Norman man as decreed by the King, from a sacred tribe of Celtic mystics she know though with a glance into his eyes that she will never be able to give him the one thing he desires most, a son. As for a Glendruid wife to bear a son would have to mean that there was love from the husband and she can not see but cold calculation and determination in his eyes.

I loved it, of course I have said as much already. One thing I think I loved most about this novel is the paranormal elements they aren’t huge, but the undercurrent is definitely there. Of course with Lady Margaret from a tribe of Celtic mystics you might expect this. Still the way Lowell gives us the plot along with undercurrent of paranormal makes it seem much more, hmm realistic as we have the common people’s fear but they do love their Lady and we also have the doubt of the Norman knights; so already a very ‘real’ feel. We also meet other characters in this novel to that we will see in next novels in this series.

I am eagerly hoping that Lowell will write more Historical Romances in the not too distant future. Though I love and will re-read the ones she has wrote so far, I can not help but want more form this author in the Historical genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Untamed.