Madeline's Reviews > Am I Blue?: Coming Out from the Silence

111921
Apr 28, 10

bookshelves: assigned-reading, kids-and-young-adult
Read in April, 2010

A collection of short stories by a variety of different authors), all focusing on teenagers coming to terms with either their own homosexuality or that of a friend or relative. A lot of the stories involve the teenager getting guidance from an older (or more experienced) person who guides them through the experience of coming out. Sometimes this is sweet, like in the story where a girl is counseled by her older sister's gay friend; and sometimes it's hella creepy, like the story involving a teenage boy spying on a nude male sunbather at the beach.

My favorite story didn't actually focus on a teenager coming out of the closet (unlike most of the stories in this collection) - instead, it was about a teenage boy going to New York to visit his father after the death of his father's longtime (male) lover. It's sweet and touching and not too in-your-face about the whole being-gay-is-okay message.

Other than that, most of the stories didn't strike me as particularly amazing. Mostly my reaction was just meh. Also, since this collection was published in 1994, everything has a very dated feel to it that can be distracting.

Read for: Social Justice in Young Adult Literature

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Am I Blue?.