Rosie's Reviews > Beachcombers

May 10, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads
Read from May 07 to 10, 2010

Beachcombers is the story of 4 women living on the island of Nantucket. The story covers one summer of their lives. Three of the women are sisters -- Abbie, Emma and Lily. The fourth is Marina, a women who has rented the small cottage on their property. The novel is written from all of their perspectives, chapter by chapter. The sisters lost their mother in what may or may not have been an accident 15 years prior to the start of the novel.

All of the women are going through of change in their life that brings them to Nantucket. Marina is the outsider. She moved to Nantucket after divorcing her husband and losing her best friend in the process. Lily, the youngest, is distraught that Marina has moved in and thinks she's after her father. Emma, the middle sister, moved back home after breaking up with her fiance and losing her job as a investment banker/trader in the wake of the stock market fallout. Abbie, the oldest sister, has moved away from the island but is called back by Lily's pleas to come home and help Emma and get rid of Marina.

The sisters start a small company called Nantucket Mermaids that offers services for odd jobs. They babysit, read to the elderly, landscape, do data entry, etc. Before moving to the island, Marina was a high-powered ad executive. In the divorce she sold her share of the business and condo she owned. She is hoping to learn how to live a more simple life.

Beachcombers is all about relationships -- how the sisters relate to one another, how Marina fits in the the dysfunctional family, how they form new bonds and loves on the island.

Thayer does a great job of portraying the emotions of the sisters and the dynamics of very complicated relationships. I would recommend this anyone with a sister or going through a breakup.

I gave this novel three stars because I liked it, but I didn't love it. I typically give three stars to "beach reads." It might be a little more heavy than fluffy, but Thayer does a wonderful job of describing island life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beachcombers.

05/07/2010 page 42