Mike's Reviews > Around the Day in Eighty Worlds

Around the Day in Eighty Worlds by Julio Cortázar

Apr 28, 10

Recommended to Mike by: the internet
Recommended for: cronopios and their kin
Read in April, 2010, read count: 1

Around the Day in Eighty Worlds is a bit of a ramble. This collection includes short stories, essays, and poems, and is illustrated throughout with photographs, drawings, and diagrams. Even when Cortázar is not recounting personal anectdote or opinion there is a general imperfection throughout — an unfinished texture providing ironic commentary on his creative process — that reinforces the scenes from the life of an artist that dominate the more overtly autobiographical sections. This book is not Cortázar's equivalent to today's slickly-produced food-channel reality lifestyle TV meal events — in which we learn to eat ambrosia like the immortals, to submerge a longing for immortality past the crude functionality of our organs and into our cells while yet denying the ultimate flowering of that cellular desire which is cancer. No it is not that. Instead we are invited to a meal prepared by a master chef but purposefully left flawed so that we might ourselves learn to engage the process.

I did not particularly enjoy the bits about Jazz music. His motives are pure, and his admiration for the form and its artists is true, but the opinion seems dated, from a time when a Black president of the United States was theory instead of reality.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Around the Day in Eighty Worlds.