Angela's Reviews > All Over the Map

All Over the Map by Laura Fraser

Jun 19, 10

bookshelves: memoir
Read in June, 2010

A wonderful tale about coming to terms with the choices we make along the way and living life to its fullest. Fraser may have traveled the whole world living her dream career as a travel writer, but she longs for the quiet stability of a family life in a place she can call home. Throughout her journey, she learns to view her life in a different light and appreciate the richness of the fruits of her decisions.

As a fellow woman writer approaching midlife, I know from experience I cannot have it all at the same time. Having a family requires sacrifices most single people cannot appreciate, especially when those choices demand self-sacrifice for the benefit of children with special needs or a spouse who desperately wants to pursue a dream. On the other hand, Fraser may sacrifice the stability and security of a husband and children, but she gets to enjoy a spontaneous life full of travel and writing. I know if Fraser was living in my circumstances she would feel incomplete, dissatisfied, frustrated, and restless as a mother of an autistic child who only functioned in a rigid routine, could not fly in an airplane, and could not adopt to other cultural experiences.

Fraser understands the universe gives us what we need, not what we want. She has written a great, thoughtful read that will get you thinking about your own life in a new way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Over the Map.