Grumpus's Reviews > Physics for Future Presidents: The Science Behind the Headlines

Physics for Future Presidents by Richard A. Muller

Jun 17, 10

bookshelves: kindle, science
Recommended to Grumpus by: Arminius
Read in June, 2010

Hmmm...look at the title. Maybe the word "Future" should be changed to include "and Current". I'm just say'n.

Everything that is in the news today from nuclear bombs, to alternative energy sources, to global warming is succinctly covered in layman's language. I used my Kindle to mark some text that I thought was interesting and wanted to share. First regarding nuclear weapons, "small amounts of radioactivity have such small consequences that they could properly be ignored. Radiological weapons are not the threat that many seem to fear."

Second regarding global warming, "New Orleans was not struck by a category 4 or 5 storm (the number of these category storms hitting the US have not increased, like the global warming folks would have you believe), and any category 3 storm that hit the city in the past 50 years could equally well have destroyed the city."

The book is filled with examples such as this that run counter-intuitive to what the public has been led to believe. It will absolutely open your eyes and you will view news stories in a new light.

Finally, the author doesn't leave you hanging…he puts up his ideas to implement if he were president with conservation of resources leading the way.

Being president is not easy but having an understanding of the physics regarding some of the tough issues you'd face could make your job that much easier.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Physics for Future Presidents.