Robert's Reviews > Guitar: An American Life

Guitar by Tim Brookes

May 04, 10

bookshelves: music
Read from May 02 to 03, 2010

This is an interesting history of the guitar, and instruments that developed into the guitar, in America. The books main focus is on the acoustic instruments as the electrics did not come on scene until later years.The book also looks at how the guitar was used throughout the various styles of American music. As someone who is looking forward to purchasing my first acoustic guitar I was quite excited when I began reading this book. By the end I felt somewhat put off by the author Throughout the book the author intersperses the history with the story of how his custom made guitar was concieved and built. Towards the end of the book the author places a subtle slam on "mass produced" guitars and attempts to make a person feel guilty for not being able to set aside the money for a custom guitar. The other downside of this book for me was the authors treatment of country music. The author briefly glosses over this portion of musical development. He does go into great detail on the use of the guitar during the history of jazz, and more, and more jazz music. As for me I think I will be purchasing myself one of those "mass produced" guitars so I can start strumming out some Cash, Robbins, Reeves, Kristofferson and other country greats. Perhaps I may end up insulting some stuffed shirt author somewhere.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guitar.