Roy's Reviews > Tao Te Ching

Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu

Apr 28, 10

Read in April, 2010

"In the crowded field of translating the "Tao Te Ching," this new version" "...is a landmark traslation of the ancient Chinese classic..."
It is based on newly discovered manuscripts that are approximately five centuries older and far more authentic than the most commonly translated texts.
"Victor Mair, on of the country's foremost translators of ancient Chinese, has stripped away the distortions of previous translation, restored lost lines, reinterpreted key terms, and created what is sure to become THE definitive translation" of the "Tao Te Ching."

I recommend this version most-most highly. I've read translations of the T-T-C for many years (off and on) and have found wisdom and great insight. This version is at my bedside, so I can read it daily with my first cup of decaf. It is wise, but more it is magically wise. It lives and breathes and warns and blesses as if your were at the feet of wise women. This is a book of the earth as well as the continuum of life and death. It harks back to the true Way of matriarchal clans.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tao Te Ching.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luc (new)

Luc Broes I have a German translation 'Das Buch des Alten vom Sinn und Leben' Tsingtau 1910 Rchard Wilhelm.
I read 62: 'Der Sinn ist aller Dinge Heimat' Who can compete with this translation!? Read it daily with your first cup of Longjing tea, the best in China!