Kasia's Reviews > The Jigsaw Man

The Jigsaw Man by Gord Rollo

2087548
Apr 28, 10

Read in August, 2008

Oh man, what a fun romp through madness, surgeries and mayhem! For those who like the physical horror with blood, gore and all that icky stuff then this will send a few shivers down the spine. Even though this was Rollo's first mass market novel his writing was a smooth flow of ghastly delights as the story engulfed me and demanded to be finished between Saturday night and Sunday morning, nothing else would tear me away and I had a blast reading it.

I don't know if it was the fact that I used to go wild for medical thrillers and while growing up I would devour Robin Cook's books only to stop for a rare breather and read some solid horror but this book reminded me of all the great nail gripping times I sat in my dad's library and read those medical thrillers. This of course goes even deeper than most stories that Cook wrote, adding extra spice with some whacky bad guys and some gut wrenching and chillingly disturbing unpleasant medical scenarios. I certainly enjoyed the mad doctor on a rampage through people and their bodies, on a quest to complete an insane medical act. What that act is I cannot tell, one must read the book to find out, but I promise that the story starts rolling and there is no getting of, this baby was great!

The hero is flawed but not lacking a shiny golden heart deep within himself. Michael Fox has more of a Hamlet complex, the inability to act in time! Well that certainly has its up and downs through the book but when a homeless man ready to commit suicide gets stopped with people who have power and money he has no idea that the blissful prosperity with a heavy price isn't as pure as it seems. Ready for death yet without the slightest idea of what waits at a hidden castle deep in the woods where surgery is daily bread for the mad man who runs it, Michael discovers that not all that was told is true, at least not for his benefit.

This starts off as an intense ride and the story only gets more and more desperate and absolutely horrific for Michael, there are no easy hero choices here, this book has some teeth and books such as this one remind me how much more fun they are than TV, great job Mr. Rollo, you made me forget the remote exist, even if only for two days.

- Kasia S.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jigsaw Man.