Shawna's Reviews > Desperate Deeds

Desperate Deeds by Dee Davis

4 stars – Romantic Suspense

The thrilling A-Tac series centers on an elite CIA Black Ops unit of men and women with different areas of expertise (communications, extraction, munitions, computer hacking) who use their positions as faculty at an Ivy League university for cover while secretly fighting terrorism and taking on the government’s most clandestine, dangerous missions.

The series began with a bang in Dark Deceptions as the team’s second in command Nash Brennon raced to thwart an assassination attempt by his former field partner, lover, and traitor?, Annie Gallagher. It heated up to explosive levels in Dangerous Desires as extractions expert Drake Flynn battled mercenaries and his sizzling attraction to CIA informant/package, Madeline Reynard, while evading dangers in the Colombian jungle. And things came to an intriguing, exciting end in Desperate Deeds as demolitions specialist Tyler Hanson and sexy, mysterious, Bond-like spy and former MI-5 British operative, Owen Wakefield, chased down hijacked nuclear weapons, while also trying to uncover a mole within A-Tac, to prevent a calamitous terrorist act of destruction. The trilogy was wrapped up rather nicely, but some matters were left unresolved and a few characters still need their own story, so it’s a good thing there are more A-Tac books slated for 2011 and 2012.

With interesting characters, military intrigue, espionage, kick-a** agents balancing duty and the goal of the mission against their own desires, high-octane action, and steamy hot romance, A-Tac is a satisfying romantic suspense series that fans of authors like Stephanie Tyler, Suzanne Brockmann, Cindy Gerard, Marliss Melton, Catherine Mann, and Cindy Dees should find appealing.

Dark Deceptions, 4 stars.
My favorite of the series, Dangerous Desires, 5 stars.
Desperate Deeds, 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desperate Deeds.

08/02/2010 page 42
11.0% "Started with a bang...a shoot-out and a smokin' hot bedroom scene!" 1 comment
08/03/2010 page 334
87.0% "I can't help but think of Austin Powers with all the "mole" talk...mole, mole, mole. LOL!" 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-33)

dateUp arrow    newest »

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Shawna, tell me about this series, please. What does it compare to? Writing style, etc? The reason I ask is because when I was in B&N yesterday I saw a lady grabbing all kinds of books, and she had several Dee Davis books. I asked her about them, what she liked, etc., and she just looked at me like I was an alien. LOL That made me nervous! LOL

Robin *loves sexy books* I'll let Shawna answer because these are on my kindle and I haven't read them yet. But I get the impression (and hope) they're like Stephanie Tyler/Lora Leigh military/special ops guys. Oh..with hot bedroom action of course!!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Awesome! Thanks, Robin :)

Shawna They have the same military/espionage intrigue and steamy romance similar to Stephanie Tyler's Hard to Hold Trilogy, Suzanne Brockmann, Marliss Melton, Catherine Mann, and Cindy Dees.

It's about a group of men and women with different areas of expertise (communications, extraction, munitions, etc) working for a group in the CIA called A-Tac fighting terrorism, but one difference from some similar series is that they daylight working as professors at a university for cover.

So far it's just three books, but her website says there are more books coming next year. I enjoyed the first book, loved the second, and liked the third.

Dark Deceptions
*Dangerous Desires *my favorite*
Desperate Deeds

message 29: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie What is the steam factor?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks for all that great info, Shawna!!

Robin *loves sexy books* yes we want to know how steamy they get???

Shawna Your welcome, Dhes! I did a quick review for this one to give a few more details about the series, too.

I'd compare the steam factor to Stephanie Tyler or Cindy Gerard. They're a bit steamier than Marliss Melton and probably a little more than Brockmann, but not as hot as Nina Bruhns Passion for Danger or Lora Leigh.

Robin *loves sexy books* lol, good enough for me!! they are on my kindle to read.

Shawna Thanks, Zosia!

I hope you enjoy 'em, Robin!

message 23: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Great review Shawna! Another RS series to look for...

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Thanks Shawna! :-)

message 21: by Beanbag (new)

Beanbag Love I've never heard of Dee Davis. You guys are killing me with all the authors I need to try out.

Great review, Shawna!

message 20: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Aug 05, 2010 12:22PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks so much for the steam index rating, Shawna! I'm worried no one will compare with Pamela Clare.

Shawna -Thanks, Auntee! Yep, this series should be right up your RS alley.

-YW, Steph!

-Thanks, Bean! I know how you feel. That's how I've been feeling since I discovered so many historical romance authors that I want to try, it's nearly brought my TBR crashing down, LOL.

-YW, Dhes! Pamela Clare is indeed amazing and one of my very faves, too. Another of my fave RS series of '09/'10 was Nina Bruhns's Passion for Danger trilogy that started with Shoot to Thrill...absolutely loved 'em!

message 18: by new_user (last edited Aug 05, 2010 12:34PM) (new)

new_user Wow, she's at the top of your list, eh, UM? I really need to try her soon. Also, Nina Bruhns apparently, LOL. Thanks, Shawna!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yes, PC is so, so good. You really should give her a try. ALL of her books are very well done and highly rated.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Shawna. I'll definitely give those a try.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Shawna Nina Bruhn is awesome too! I loved her trilogy! Extra steamy with a bowl of smexy on the side!

message 14: by Shawna (last edited Aug 05, 2010 02:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shawna True that, Steph! The Passion for Danger series is super smexy!

*Nan* I love all of the authors mentioned here but I especially like Nina Bruhns,Pamala Clare and Dee Davis when you are talking smexy.

message 12: by *Nan* (last edited Aug 05, 2010 02:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

*Nan* Lora Leigh is my favorite author of all when it comes to RS !

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm ordering the Bruhns books as soon as I can afford them. They are in my B&N shopping cart as we speak :)

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Oh Dhes too bad we cannot share ebooks. I have all of them on my Sony.

message 9: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Aug 05, 2010 03:13PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish ARGH! I have a Sony, too! Bummer :(

Shawna UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I'm ordering the Bruhns books as soon as I can afford them. They are in my B&N shopping cart as we speak :)"

They're worth it! I'll look forward to hearing what you think of them.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I went ahead and ordered all three of them through Borders. They were having a Buy 2 get 1 free, then with a 33% percent off coupon... and some other books I needed, I save $19. LOL Of course, I'm not telling how much I spent.

Shawna Sounds like I need to make a Borders purchase! :)

Robin *loves sexy books* i just got a borders 25% off coupon emailed to me today...ugh and it's only good thru 8/9. guess i'm going to the bookstore!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I got one of those, too. Was that for 1 book or the whole order?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Shawna wrote: "Sounds like I need to make a Borders purchase! :)"

It's a good deal! And over $25 is free shipping. I don't know if I still have the 33% code.

Robin *loves sexy books* UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I got one of those, too. Was that for 1 book or the whole order?"

not sure...guess i'll found out when i check out!! lol

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish UGH! I lost the 25% off code :(