Sina Lucia's Reviews > How to Fit a Car Seat on a Camel: And Other Misadventures Traveling with Kids

How to Fit a Car Seat on a Camel by Sarah Franklin

Jul 27, 10

Read from June 08 to July 27, 2010

I have to admit, I'm not sure I'm going to get through this book anytime soon... I was hoping for a mix of different interesting tales, told in different unique voices... instead I've found that every story sound exactly like the one before - written in the exactly same style and language. What a big dissappointment!! The only things that change are the circumstances and the names. Each story starts out with a "funny" one-liner about the theme of this story and what happens in the end - basically giving away the climax up front, and then proceeds to go through the back-story and let us all know how we got there. Really? Do you really need to do that?? It's only a 3-5 page story, there's really no build of anticipation, here... It just goes to show that this editor thinks folks have no attension pan and no imagination and actually want to be told ahead of time what's going on, rather than actually leading us on an interesting tale.

So, finally, I just decided to hold my breath and finish this book. Yuck. Not worth my time - what a waste.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Fit a Car Seat on a Camel.

06/10/2010 page 47
16.79% "writing, reading, writing reading, thinking... thinking... cooking, eating, cleaning, sweeping, thinking..."
16.79% 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new) - rated it 1 star

Kate Lang Ugh, yes. I can't remember the last time I worried about my childrens' cloth diapers while they were unvaccinated in the Andes. Or the three-page story about the time their 6-year-old had to pee in a bottle because they were stuck in traffic. Honestly, you really don't need to finish it. I only did because my husband bet me a massage that I couldn't slog through it.

message 2: by Sina (new) - rated it 1 star

Sina Lucia I finished it, eventually. And then decided that I had to figure out a way to dispose of the book I purchased. Donating it was out of the question, as I felt strongly that the circle had to end here - in my hands. And that somehow if I could rid the world of one less copy of this book, I would be doing a service. I think in the end I recycled it... burning the book seemed far too extreme, although it did cross my mind.